The problem is that, even if the landowner knows that there is a trig point on their land, they usually assume that somebody else is responsible for maintaining it. I doubt if the National Trust is even aware of its decaying trig points, let alone that it's their problem.
Many trig pillars stand on ...
Search found 9 matches
- Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:30 pm
- Forum: TrigpointingUK Forum
- Topic: Trig Points on National Trust land
- Replies: 4
- Views: 4460
- Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:07 pm
- Forum: TrigpointingUK Forum
- Topic: Trig Points on National Trust land
- Replies: 4
- Views: 4460
Trig Points on National Trust land
The National Trust owns large tracts of land in open country and they contain quite a few trigs. The OS lost interest in the trigs many years ago, so if anybody is going to maintain them, it's going to be the owner of the land on which they stand.
They are, of course, important pieces of industrial ...
They are, of course, important pieces of industrial ...
- Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:52 pm
- Forum: TrigpointingUK Forum
- Topic: publicising trig points and trigpointing
- Replies: 3
- Views: 8216
Re: publicising trig points and trigpointing
I was going to give my talk on trig points to my local history society, but that meeting was cancelled, as are all public meetings right now. I run a meetup group and we are setting up a series of online lectures using Zoom. I'm giving my talk as the first one this Monday 4th May at 7:30pm. The ...
- Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:42 am
- Forum: TrigpointingUK Forum
- Topic: publicising trig points and trigpointing
- Replies: 3
- Views: 8216
publicising trig points and trigpointing
As I said in another posting, we need to start persuading local communities to start looking after their trig points before they all gradually vanish.
The annual Heritage Open Days happen over a week or more in September. There will be events near you and the 2020 schedule of talks is being worked ...
The annual Heritage Open Days happen over a week or more in September. There will be events near you and the 2020 schedule of talks is being worked ...
- Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:51 am
- Forum: TrigpointingUK Forum
- Topic: map reference conversion
- Replies: 11
- Views: 20443
Re: map reference conversion
I've got a little further with my research.
My GPS equipment claims to be accurate to two cm. I've now figured out that the data I'm getting from the OS is not nearly as accurate as that, so I can't use it for my testing. That's a tad unfortunate because at present I have nothing else.
Just to ...
My GPS equipment claims to be accurate to two cm. I've now figured out that the data I'm getting from the OS is not nearly as accurate as that, so I can't use it for my testing. That's a tad unfortunate because at present I have nothing else.
Just to ...
- Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:15 pm
- Forum: TrigpointingUK Forum
- Topic: map reference conversion
- Replies: 11
- Views: 20443
Re: map reference conversion
Concerning accuracy, a GPS device like an eTrex is only accurate to about four metres(?) so, yes, the inaccuracy in the conversion would just be in the noise.
The equipment I'm testing is the new U-Blox ZED-F9P which claims to be much more accurate, and the inaccuracy in the conversion starts to ...
The equipment I'm testing is the new U-Blox ZED-F9P which claims to be much more accurate, and the inaccuracy in the conversion starts to ...
- Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:49 pm
- Forum: TrigpointingUK Forum
- Topic: map reference conversion
- Replies: 11
- Views: 20443
Re: map reference conversion
> Wouldn't it be easier to change the GPSr coordinate setting to use BNG?
The OS web page takes a set of coordinates in any form and converts it to all the other forms, so you can do whatever is convenient. I'm using the trigs to calibrate my GPS equipment. I choose a suitable trig, get the map ...
The OS web page takes a set of coordinates in any form and converts it to all the other forms, so you can do whatever is convenient. I'm using the trigs to calibrate my GPS equipment. I choose a suitable trig, get the map ...
- Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:03 pm
- Forum: TrigpointingUK Forum
- Topic: map reference conversion
- Replies: 11
- Views: 20443
map reference conversion
This site uses OS map references to specify the positions of the trig points. Unfortunately, some GPS devices use longitude and latitude, so we need a way to convert from one to the other.
Initially I used the Movable Type web page, but I found that it uses a very simple algorithm and can be fairly ...
Initially I used the Movable Type web page, but I found that it uses a very simple algorithm and can be fairly ...
- Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:36 pm
- Forum: TrigpointingUK Forum
- Topic: Preservation of Trig Points
- Replies: 7
- Views: 11993
Re: Preservation of Trig Points
The trig network is a relic of industrial history. The OS use accurate GPS these days so they no longer need the trigs, so they have lost interest in them. I plan to try to get my local history societies interested in them, by offering to talk at their meetings. I'm quite lucky in that I live close ...