Photos on the site

General discussion about trigpoints, the TrigpointingUK website etc
Post Reply
BasilDowl
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:22 pm

Photos on the site

Post by BasilDowl »

Hi All

Long time trig-bagger, but have just started logging all my bags.

Just a quick question really - if I'm not bagging as part of a walk, I use my phone to take pics. Is there a reason the site flips portrait-oriented pics to landscape? I've had a few now that I can't flip for whatever reason.

Thanks!

Basil
User avatar
agentmancuso
Posts: 338
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:59 pm
Location: EK
Contact:

Re: Photos on the site

Post by agentmancuso »

My current phone does the same, but the last two didn't (all Samsungs running Android). Don't know why. Usually I log from the app then later download from the website to PC desktop, reorientate and re-upload. Not ideal, but I can't seem to find the appropriate setting.
MAC.HAWK
Posts: 129
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:11 pm

Re: Photos on the site

Post by MAC.HAWK »

I always upload from my Desktop PC and have never had an issue.
clochandighter
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:02 pm

Re: Photos on the site

Post by clochandighter »

This could be an EXIF issue.

On the occasion where I've had this problem, I have resolved the issue by opening the file in a photoeditor, rotating the image to the orientation I want then saving it again. On a Windows PC, this can be done using PAINT. Not sure how this would work on a handheld device if you don't have regular access to a desktop or laptop. The direct answer to your question may lie with having a photoediting app for Android or whichever platform your phone runs on.

Be aware that re-saving an image will drop the EXIF data, so make a copy of the original image to work on if you want to retain a record of the camera settings for each image.

I am glad to see by way of enquiring that you are making the effort to display your T:UK images correctly. I wish more would make that effort. the proportion of images be uploaded either sideways or upside-down seems to be on the increase.


Graeme.
dot924
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:24 am

Re: Photos on the site

Post by dot924 »

I'm glad someone asked this question as again with a phone I have the same issue. I am now going to try and re-load mine.
User avatar
agentmancuso
Posts: 338
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:59 pm
Location: EK
Contact:

Re: Photos on the site

Post by agentmancuso »

I've noticed that even of you delete a sideways image, reorientate it and upload it again, the thumbnail still displays sideways!
Post Reply