So I am new to trig point bagging but I want to do a bit more than just ticking them off. I'm an engineer and an ex scout so I enjoy the whole maths and mechanics of the trig point network. So I get to the top, see if I can spot the other trig points with binoculars (I'm going to have to start lugging up some sandtex and painting them back to white, maybe with a couple of high Viz yellow stripes so I can see them) I might try taking bearings. I get home and draw a pencil line on the paper land ranger map from the trig point I am at to the trig points. I can see.
So apart from the selfies, the cuddly toy or the spaniel on top of the pillar, what more do you do?
What else do you do at the pillar?
-
sykesfamily1
- Posts: 8
- Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2025 8:33 am
Re: What else do you do at the pillar?
A flask of coffee and a date slice 
Re: What else do you do at the pillar?
decent thing to do! I would love to do that, I will in summer. Just stuck in NE Scotland and a 'blocked weather system' haven't seen the sun since 21st Jan and rained more than that. So I went up kingshill, necked an energy gel and some lucozade and ran back down for cover!
Re: What else do you do at the pillar?
I assume you're joking about the high-viz stripes, but just in case... please don't!jonralph1 wrote: Fri Jan 30, 2026 9:09 pm So I am new to trig point bagging but I want to do a bit more than just ticking them off. I'm an engineer and an ex scout so I enjoy the whole maths and mechanics of the trig point network. So I get to the top, see if I can spot the other trig points with binoculars (I'm going to have to start lugging up some sandtex and painting them back to white, maybe with a couple of high Viz yellow stripes so I can see them) I might try taking bearings. I get home and draw a pencil line on the paper land ranger map from the trig point I am at to the trig points. I can see.
So apart from the selfies, the cuddly toy or the spaniel on top of the pillar, what more do you do?
Re: What else do you do at the pillar?
> I might try taking bearings. I get home and draw a pencil line on the paper land ranger map from the trig point I am at to the trig points.
Heres an example from 1962 of bearings taken by the OS from
https://trigpointing.uk/trigs/16545 Millstone Rigg to other nearby trig stations:
https://wiki.trigpointing.uk/images/e/e ... 3_0007.jpg
Heres an example from 1962 of bearings taken by the OS from
https://trigpointing.uk/trigs/16545 Millstone Rigg to other nearby trig stations:
https://wiki.trigpointing.uk/images/e/e ... 3_0007.jpg
Re: What else do you do at the pillar?
Exactly what I do. Except on the explorer map. I have started painting them, I cant see them to take a bearing if they are brown, so repainting them to the white of my youth. It really makes a difference to visibility. Painted my nearest last week (Brimmond Hill TP 0666)and I can clearly see it from the Hill of Kier TP3883 (with a monocular), painted that one too.
- Attachments
-
- compass_20260216_110839.jpg (391.98 KiB) Viewed 1218 times