@TeaselAdmin Firstly, thanks for the work you've put in to the site refresh (the OS mapping on the trig pages particularly is a huge upgrade for me), and also thanks for the work (and presumably money) you've put in to keeping the site running for all these years.
Secondly, I would love for ability to be able to download search results again - I'm sure this is already on your roadmap to add back in, just putting in my vote for this feature.
Lastly, I wonder if you've considered making the code for the site publicly accessible? I'd imagine there's a fair amount of code and work involved in this site, and I suspect there are a few of us in the trig bagging community who are sufficiently skilled to help out. I have no idea how many people might be interested to help, or to what extent they've got the skills or indeed the time to help out, but I'd like to think there are a few. However, I totally get that this wouldn't be without downsides - I realise this is probably a personal passion project and you might not want to be on the receiving end of badly through-through patches, theoretical bug reports, or vibe-coded slop, and you might want to retain complete control without any interference - and that's totally fine.
Server migration / website re-write
-
stripytrigger
- Posts: 20
- Joined: Wed May 27, 2020 11:36 am
-
Fife Walking
- Posts: 2
- Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2022 1:52 pm
Re: Server migration / website re-write
Looking good.
Re: Server migration / website re-write
Definitely on the roadmap, but what should it look like? Way back when https://trigpointing.uk/photos/1 there was a need to be able to download the 25 nearest unfound pillars in memorymap format. But what's needed for today's audience?stripytrigger wrote: Mon Dec 01, 2025 2:10 pm I would love for ability to be able to download search results again - I'm sure this is already on your roadmap to add back in, just putting in my vote for this feature.
It already is! https://github.com/TrigpointingUKstripytrigger wrote: Mon Dec 01, 2025 2:10 pm I wonder if you've considered making the code for the site publicly accessible?
As you will notice, it is itself mostly vibe-coded slop
Contributions are welcome, though both API and schema are changing massively every day right now, so you might want to ping me beforehand before changing anything significant.
Similarly, power users are most welcome to directly use the api(*). But again, it's pretty volatile right now, so before anyone rolls up their sleeves and writes an iPhone app (which would be great by the way!), do please get in touch first, to minimise frustrations!
(*) please be gentle, as I'd prefer to spend my time adding new functionality, rather than retro-fitting 429's!
Re: Server migration / website re-write
I've found myself unexpectedly missing the "recent logs by area" feature, so I could have a nosy at any logs in my parish... is there an easy way to do that at all? Otherwise the entire upgrade is fabulous, I can't thank you enough Ian.
Re: Server migration / website re-write
I don't think there's any easy way to do "areas" right now. You'll also have noticed the disappearance of counties. That's partly because I don't know what they are, and partly because the old site defined them as the colour of a pixel on a photoshopped map I downloaded from the OS! I'd like to improve this, but it may be some time before I have anything working.BasilDowl wrote: Tue Dec 02, 2025 2:45 am I've found myself unexpectedly missing the "recent logs by area" feature, so I could have a nosy at any logs in my parish... is there an easy way to do that at all? Otherwise the entire upgrade is fabulous, I can't thank you enough Ian.
Re: Server migration / website re-write
No problem, thanks for responding anyway. Counties were always a bit of a problem as they weren't the historic counties and threw up a few issues.
Re: Server migration / website re-write
First colour the map according to your own logs, rather then the official condition, by selecting "Icon Colours" : "My Logs". Then use the "Marker Colours" toggles to select which trigpoints are displayed, based on whether you have logged them, whether you found them, and what overall condition they were in. NB until today there was a bug that prevented this feature from working at all. There are still bugs related to the difference between trigpoint not logged; condition not included in log; not yet logged, but I'll try to get everything consistent in the next few days.S1534&Beyond wrote: Sun Nov 30, 2025 5:11 pm 1) The map search feature is brilliant. Once logged in could it be possible to have a feature that 'hides those logged' so when looking at the map it will show those TP's that are new ones to find. I have been bagging non pillar ones today and have logged TP16635 - Ashington Farm for the first ever time. I think the new map feature will result in more first time logs. Also when using the 'nearest' search can there also be an option to 'hide' ones already found so you can research the nearest 'unlogged' one to you?
I've also added a filter to the nearest trigpoint list. It's deliberately a little more crude than the above, providing toggles only for logged / not logged.
Done!S1534&Beyond wrote: Sun Nov 30, 2025 5:11 pm 2) When making a log is it possible please for the condition to default to the database condition? For example I initially logged TP10901 as good rather than destroyed because the condition had defaulted to good.
Hopefully fixed, except when logging trigpoints which have moved >25m from their original position. I'll work on those shortly.S1534&Beyond wrote: Sun Nov 30, 2025 5:11 pm 3) I tried to log TP16643 & TP16644 but I got a GPS error (I uploaded the error image on TP16644) - I think you are already working on this issue?
I've added a "Default Photo License" option to the user Preferences, and newly uploaded images will default to whatever that is set to.S1534&Beyond wrote: Sun Nov 30, 2025 5:11 pm 4) For speed of uploading images can the default be set to 'private' please as before with the option to change to enable quicker logging.
I get the same thing. Zooming in and out sometimes helps. I'll see if I can add some more layers of caching, in the hope of reducing these glitches.S1534&Beyond wrote: Sun Nov 30, 2025 5:11 pm 5) Re my TP10903 log today certain zoom scales on the map resulted in a a grey square. I have uploaded an screen shot image on that log.
Re: Server migration / website re-write
I've improved the trigpoint details page, so that logs you have entered previously will be shown at the top of the list (and also within the list, for context when scrolling down through historic logs). I've also changed the text of the log button when you've already logged the trigpoint, and will probably add some extra friction to the logging workflow, depending on whether and when you already logged the trig in question.AmyYdwI92 wrote: Sun Nov 30, 2025 8:28 am Quick question, on the old website when you clicked on a trigpoint page it used to say if you'd already logged the trig or not, is this on the new website as I can't seem to see it? Or is it something that may be done in the future?
Yes, but it was buggy when you posted this! Hopefully you should now be able to colour the icons by "My Logs", then toggle the various colours on and off.AmyYdwI92 wrote: Sun Nov 30, 2025 8:28 am And on the map is there a way of filtering the points to just ones you have not logged at all?
-
S1534&Beyond
- Posts: 6
- Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2025 4:21 pm
Re: Server migration / website re-write
Feedback for logs 2nd December.
All photos uploaded via mobile without any sizing issues.
Site responding very fast
The maps showing unlogged trigs thus far is brilliant for planning days out.
If anyone likes the retro emojis you can add them via mobile uploads.
The link you gave for finding CBMs is helpful.
When I first open a trig view there is a large grey box around the trig icon. This disappears when you zoom either -/+ on the map.
I really enjoy this hobby and the team is very clever to build this site and must have taken a lot of time and effort.
Have you considered a donate page such as buy me a coffee? Harold Street has a paypal one. (found on your links page)
All photos uploaded via mobile without any sizing issues.
Site responding very fast
The maps showing unlogged trigs thus far is brilliant for planning days out.
If anyone likes the retro emojis you can add them via mobile uploads.
The link you gave for finding CBMs is helpful.
When I first open a trig view there is a large grey box around the trig icon. This disappears when you zoom either -/+ on the map.
I really enjoy this hobby and the team is very clever to build this site and must have taken a lot of time and effort.
Have you considered a donate page such as buy me a coffee? Harold Street has a paypal one. (found on your links page)
Re: Server migration / website re-write
Hi Teasel,
The TPUK update looks good and thanks for all your effort. It is much appreciated.
A few observations and suggestions that will hopefully be helpful –
On the map when displaying the trig points you haven’t logged those logged as “unreachable but visible” are showing on the map as not logged.
Would a search facility be possible (similar to the old site where you could search by type, use, status, logged or not, distance, etc.)? For example, a search that would output all the primaries trig points that the user hasn’t logged ordered by distance from a defined grid reference.
Can the export option, e.g. from a search output, be returned? I found this very useful in order to add KML files to Google maps.
If a trig point has not been found the last found date defaults to 1 Jan 1970. I understand this due to the start of the Unix time but text stating not found or a dash might be more informative.
On the map can more options be included for the filtering of the trig points in addition to pillar, major, minor and intersected? For example, primary, secondary, active, passive, etc.
On the map can the maker for a trig point have the option for a different shape rather than just the TPUK logo? For example, a dot or cross.
On the page for each trig point the latitude and longitude is WGS84 and not just WGS. Out of curiosity what transformation is used for converting from OSGB36 to WGS84?
Will trig tools be returning as some of the functionality was useful. For example, percentage of trig points in a county or of a certain type logged was valuable.
Again, many thanks for all your efforts and I hope the above is helpful.
Many thanks, James
The TPUK update looks good and thanks for all your effort. It is much appreciated.
A few observations and suggestions that will hopefully be helpful –
On the map when displaying the trig points you haven’t logged those logged as “unreachable but visible” are showing on the map as not logged.
Would a search facility be possible (similar to the old site where you could search by type, use, status, logged or not, distance, etc.)? For example, a search that would output all the primaries trig points that the user hasn’t logged ordered by distance from a defined grid reference.
Can the export option, e.g. from a search output, be returned? I found this very useful in order to add KML files to Google maps.
If a trig point has not been found the last found date defaults to 1 Jan 1970. I understand this due to the start of the Unix time but text stating not found or a dash might be more informative.
On the map can more options be included for the filtering of the trig points in addition to pillar, major, minor and intersected? For example, primary, secondary, active, passive, etc.
On the map can the maker for a trig point have the option for a different shape rather than just the TPUK logo? For example, a dot or cross.
On the page for each trig point the latitude and longitude is WGS84 and not just WGS. Out of curiosity what transformation is used for converting from OSGB36 to WGS84?
Will trig tools be returning as some of the functionality was useful. For example, percentage of trig points in a county or of a certain type logged was valuable.
Again, many thanks for all your efforts and I hope the above is helpful.
Many thanks, James