Page 1 of 1
Danny MacAskill goes trig bagging
Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:35 pm
by ted
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_7k3fnxPq0
bonkers.
Trig plays a minor part at 3:15 - anyone know where?
Re: Danny MacAskill goes trig bagging
Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:09 pm
by clochandighter
Hi Ted,
I am 99% sure the trig is:
S3631 - Sauchie Crag, Strilingshire. Lewis Hill on some maps. By north Third Reservoir.
http://trigpointing.uk/trig/5821
Regards,
Graeme
Re: Danny MacAskill goes trig bagging
Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:46 pm
by MAC.HAWK
Or if you can endure more SNP propaganda (Alex Salmond pontificating in his usual simplistic & patronizing way) visit this older posting that has much better trig shots
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyOZzEWF4RU.
Suggestions for the pillar location would be welcome!
Re: Danny MacAskill goes trig bagging
Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:50 pm
by jrcking
He didn't even stop to note down the FB number!
Re: Danny MacAskill goes trig bagging
Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:18 pm
by clochandighter
I think this one is:
S6958 - Ben More (5th highest of all trig pillars, and highest secondary station pillar).
http://trigpointing.uk/trig/1287
That being is Ben More, by Crianlarich, not the one on Mull. Again, I'm happy to be corrected if anyone else recognises this as somewhere else.
Regards,
Graeme
Re: Danny MacAskill goes trig bagging
Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:36 pm
by ted
Thanks for the IDs Graeme.
Whilst on the subject of identifying Scottish trigs, does anyone know
which one appears on the cover of the late Martyn Bennett's CD 'Grit' '?
Its puzzled me for a while. Theres only the top of the trig to go on.
The web site
http://www.martynbennett.com/Album_Grit.html
says its
on the Isle of Mull but I can't match that description using
the search on Trigpointing:UK; maybe the OS gave it a different name.
Thanks
Ted
Re: Danny MacAskill goes trig bagging
Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:54 am
by jrcking
Conveniently a lot of the pillars on Mull are round, so they're ruled out. The round bit in the middle is missing, which helps. I also think the background looks like Ardnamurchan, so started with that side of Mull.
Based on the above, I initially thought it was: TP4717 - Meall An Inbhire -
http://trigpointing.uk/trig/4717
Then I looked at the paint splodges, and they didn't seem to match.
Then I just googled the name of the photographer and found this:
http://www.martynbennett.com/A009.html
Mystery solved, though I still can't reconcile the paint splodges.
Re: Danny MacAskill goes trig bagging
Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:16 pm
by ted
Mystery solved, though I still can't reconcile the paint splodges.
http://trigpointing.uk/trig/4717 Meall An Inbhire
- didn't seem that close a match initially but Ed Fielden's photo
http://trigpointinguk-photos.s3.amazona ... 120227.jpg
matches well with the BJ Stewart article.
Thanks
Ted
Re: Danny MacAskill goes trig bagging
Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:54 pm
by alansmeaton
The first trig is 100% definitely Lewis Hill. Decent views apart from the huge wind factories to the west and the massed ranks of conifers.
Re: Danny MacAskill goes trig bagging
Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:03 pm
by fasgadh
You know they don't actually make the wind. I wanted then removed after Bawbag but was told that they just like to blow up in strong winds rather than create it. Poor Caerletheran.