I am amazed at how much damage is done to farmers fences e.g. cutting barbed wire,or prising fences open all to gain access to a tring.
Is that really the case? Offhand I can't recall a single instance where a trig bagger has caused
deliberate damage
such as you describe - it would be interesting to know which logs you've read of such instances.
Exploiting existing gaps in a fence - yes, many of us would admit to that, mainly to visit trig pillars on sites
such as reservoirs.
Trespassing - again, yes. But I think its entirely possible to visit a farmland trig site whilst respecting the
farmer's livelihood, i.e. by keeping to field margins as much as possible, avoiding visits when crops are growing, making sure
that gates are left as found to avoid livestock wandering. In my experience, the occasional encounter with a
farmer has usually been amicable once the reason for being there is explained.
So whilst trig baggers do sometimes venture to places where, technically, they shouldn't be, I don't see anything that
corresponds to the term 'vandalism'.
Best wishes for 2017
Regards
Ted