Rottington - Primary 1
Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:02 pm
I am somewhat confused - although this is not an unusual state for me. Recently I visited TP0688 Rottington, 5.1km from home, and my nearest primary, if not my nearest pillar.
Reading previous logs I come across “believe this was the first trig ever built” from Painterman61.
Clochandighter gives a date of February 1936, but the spreadsheet lists six others built prior to this. Clochandighter then starts to eulogise about Rottington thus, “I have arrived at the Mecca of whole OSGB36 triangulation station network, this is Primary Station 1.” Now I was under the impression this whole business started at Cold Ashby in Northamptonshire (although I accept that doesn’t mean that was the first pillar built, just the first used); and finished back here in Cumbria (Westmorland bit) at Thorny Gale some time later.
So, in simple terms please, what is the significance of Rottington and Primary Station 1? Is it the oldest pillar, or does Easington take the honours in that category. Incidentally, who in their right minds builds a trig point on Ben MacDhui on January 1st?
Is there a layman’s guide to all this, or is Graeme still writing it!
Reading previous logs I come across “believe this was the first trig ever built” from Painterman61.
Clochandighter gives a date of February 1936, but the spreadsheet lists six others built prior to this. Clochandighter then starts to eulogise about Rottington thus, “I have arrived at the Mecca of whole OSGB36 triangulation station network, this is Primary Station 1.” Now I was under the impression this whole business started at Cold Ashby in Northamptonshire (although I accept that doesn’t mean that was the first pillar built, just the first used); and finished back here in Cumbria (Westmorland bit) at Thorny Gale some time later.
So, in simple terms please, what is the significance of Rottington and Primary Station 1? Is it the oldest pillar, or does Easington take the honours in that category. Incidentally, who in their right minds builds a trig point on Ben MacDhui on January 1st?
Is there a layman’s guide to all this, or is Graeme still writing it!