Page 1 of 1
Re-use of T:UK data
Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:58 pm
by stripybadger
Hi,
Is there any licence for the data on T:UK? It is a fantastic resource, it would be great to able to re-use it.
I.e. if I downloaded the list of trigs (just trigs and locations etc, not the logs or any other user data) and wanted to publish on my own non-commercial site (with appropriate attribution), would that be ok?
Thanks!
Re: Re-use of T:UK data
Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:50 pm
by agentmancuso
I don't know for sure, but I guess that insofar as trig data is covered by copyright then that will belong to the OS themselves. They're certainly protective about mapping data, don't know if the same applies to trig information.
Re: Re-use of T:UK data
Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:56 pm
by stripybadger
That's a good point (and potential further complication). Though even if OS are happy with people using their data, I understand that legally T:UK would still need to give permission for the data obtained from this site to be reused. That makes sense, as the owner of T:UK has spent time and (presumably) money running this site, so it would be unfair to take data and use it elsewhere without permission.
Re: Re-use of T:UK data
Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:07 am
by clochandighter
Here's a copy of a spreadsheet of the pillars. I last updated it on 31st December 2017.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x50nj9wretfkt ... y.xls?dl=0
Please feel free to download a copy from Dropbox.
Regards,
Graeme
(clochandighter)
Re: Re-use of T:UK data
Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:29 pm
by Sharp
Hi Graeme. I'm new to this so may be making a blunder here but I can't find the two Harrington pillars on the list. They exist although moved and dumped amongst rubble on the Project Emily site. I visited them a few days ago and posted a log with pics. Are they in a category outside the list? David
Re: Re-use of T:UK data
Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:02 pm
by clochandighter
Hi David,
Yes these Harrington stations are Project Emily pillars. Like the Great Glen project, they are not OSGB36 pillars.
The list I supplied contains only the 6590 OSGB36 pillar station sites. OSGB36 are the pillars which were all marked on the maps with the familiar cyan trig symbol, and were used in the Retriangulation of Great Britain which commenced in 1936.
I do publish another spreadsheet which does include other trig pillars built for non OSGB36 projects.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/43l3uuq3rqhfq ... .xlsx?dl=0
Again please feel free to download and make (non commercial) use of the content as desired.
Kind regards,
Graeme.
Re: Re-use of T:UK data
Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:00 pm
by stripybadger
Thanks Graeme for the useful link - is that the same data as the spreadsheet from the trigonomy group, or a sub/superset of it?
Re: Re-use of T:UK data
Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:56 am
by stripybadger
agentmancuso wrote:I don't know for sure, but I guess that insofar as trig data is covered by copyright then that will belong to the OS themselves. They're certainly protective about mapping data, don't know if the same applies to trig information.
Interestingly, OS now state that the details of their passive stations, trigs, benchmarks etc are licenced under the Open Government Licence. One way to look at it is that T:UK is essentially the raw OS data + user contributions. The former is licenced under the OGL, the latter is a form of public domain - so the underlying data would appear to be re-usable without any serious restrictions. Therefore if the people that have curated this data (i.e. the admins of T:UK) have no desire to restrict the licencing of this data beyond that of the the underlying datasources, then one could argue that the combined data set is itself openly reusable.
So I guess the question is whether the admins wish to protect the work they've done curating the data, or whether they're happy for it to be re-used under the licences of the underlying datasources?
(come to think of it, I'm not even sure who the admins are around here - Teasel maybe?)
Re: Re-use of T:UK data
Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:39 pm
by agentmancuso
stripybadger wrote:Interestingly, OS now state that the details of their passive stations, trigs, benchmarks etc are licenced under the Open Government Licence. One way to look at it is that T:UK is essentially the raw OS data + user contributions. The former is licenced under the OGL, the latter is a form of public domain - so the underlying data would appear to be re-usable without any serious restrictions. Therefore if the people that have curated this data (i.e. the admins of T:UK) have no desire to restrict the licencing of this data beyond that of the the underlying datasources, then one could argue that the combined data set is itself openly reusable.
So I guess the question is whether the admins wish to protect the work they've done curating the data, or whether they're happy for it to be re-used under the licences of the underlying datasources?
(come to think of it, I'm not even sure who the admins are around here - Teasel maybe?)
Interesting. It's true that in practice, from memory, the OS used to be very protective of data for FBMs but not for other OSGB36 stations or similar.
The admins are Rob Woodall, Adrian Dust, Chris Ottley, Jon Glew, myself, and a few others not all of whom are still active afaik. Teasel is the owner of the site so yes, it would be up to him to make that sort of decision. Certainly I'd have no objection to any not-for-profit use of stuff I'd contributed to.