Page 1 of 1
trigpointing.uk has been hacked
Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:20 pm
by ukandystreet
Sorry for doing this publicly but the “Contact Us” page on the website is not working and neither is the
[email protected] email address.
The email address I use to subscribe to the trigpointing.uk website is unique and is not used elsewhere. Since I have started to receive spam messages to that email address I can only conclude that someone (other than the site admins) has access to the user database. If anyone here uses their trigpointing.uk password elsewhere I strongly recommend that you change your passwords ASAP!
Re: trigpointing.uk has been hacked
Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:21 am
by stripybadger
Worrying to hear, but worth saying that often spammers are generating email addresses randomly, based on dictionary words, names, stuff collected from other hacks etc. So
might not be as bad as it looks (but also could be, difficult to tell).
I'm also sure I'm not the only person here who's more worried about losing my bagged trigs list than losing personal information

Re: trigpointing.uk has been hacked
Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:22 am
by ukandystreet
Worrying to hear, but worth saying that often spammers are generating email addresses randomly, based on dictionary words, names, stuff collected from other hacks etc. So might not be as bad as it looks (but also could be, difficult to tell).
If it were simply a case of email guessing I would expect to see a reasonable number of attempts for non-existent addresses to show up in my mail server logs but this is not happening. I suppose that it may be due of a webbot harvesting email addresses which have accidentally included in a public facing page rather than a full server breach.
I'm also sure I'm not the only person here who's more worried about losing my bagged trigs list than losing personal information


Yeah, I doubt that this site stores enough personal data for it to be a concern to most people. My main reason for raising this was to warn people who may have reused passwords for other things where the consequences might be more serious.