Page 1 of 1

Tripoints in a day???

Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:39 pm
by MAC.HAWK
I've seen some curious logs for trigpoints done in a single day but this one takes the biscuit!!!!

Lands End, Mam Tor, Ingleborough, Snowdon, Ben Nevis etc etc in a single day???

http://trigpointing.uk/trigs/view-map.php?u=16299&v=y or Logs on the 29th December 2019

Re: Tripoints in a day???

Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:03 pm
by agentmancuso
I think some people just log all the trigs they think they've been to on the day they sign up :(

Re: Trigpoints in a day??? (Fake Dates)

Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:25 pm
by clochandighter
Yes, all the logs thrown in under one date. I've seen this too. This person is not the first to 'fake date' all their logs, there are many others. There was another one just over a week or so back did exactly the same. They get the use of this site for free, the very least they could do is use it respectfully.

I once challenged somebody directly about continuously providing fake date information on TrigpointingUK. Their response was that 'they' didn't need accurate dates as they were only using TrigpointingUK to keep a record/count of their own trig bags. My response to that is anybody who just wants to keep a record of which trig points they have visited but not give a jot about the accuracy of the website should create their own private spreadsheet for their own private pleasure.

As usual this new person has: FB Number 'not logged', Condition 'not logged', Score '5/10'. No comments or photos have been contributed.

I try to keep an accurate up to date record of all trig pillar conditions. Most of that information comes from 150+ 'reliable sources' who contribute to TrigpointingUK. For the purpose of record keeping, I tend to ignore users who don't use the site properly but they do cause minor hinderence by putting 'deadwood' logs among others' good info.

That said, I am aware that there will be many longer term members who may have occasional inaccuracies in very old logs. That is not so unreasonable if the best effort has been made to know roughly when they visited.

If I owned TrigpointingUK, I would have a clear out of members logging fake dates. But I don't own TrigpointingUK, so it's not my call.

I would also have a clearout of those with less than ten logs who haven't logged anything in as many years. Particularly those with one log who have joined the site for a single cause or rant. Usually to say "get off my land" or to respond to something they have read in somebody's log and haven't liked what was written, e.g. when I dared to criticise a £7 parking charge.

Just my thoughts for what they are worth. G. :-)

Re: Trigpoints in a day??? (Fake Dates)

Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:31 pm
by agentmancuso
clochandighter wrote:If I owned TrigpointingUK, I would have a clear out of members logging fake dates. I would also have a clearout of those with less than ten logs who haven't logged anything in the past three years.
The access permissions don't allow the admins to do anything like that, or even to delete dodgy logs unfortunately.

Re: Tripoints in a day???

Posted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:43 am
by mw0xot
I am way behind with my logging and my my username / password were not recognised. I've re-registered but it's a shame to have lost the existing logs. C'est la vie! Must do better in future.

Re: Tripoints in a day???

Posted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:37 am
by clochandighter
If you can remember your old USERname, I am pretty sure a moderator could reset your password in exchange for a couple of security questions. Failing that, at least you would be able to view your old records.

Sorry, I am not a site moderator.

The danger with storing records and data on any website is that there is the potential to lose your data or lose access to it temporarily. Any website can go down for lengthy periods or even disappear forever.

For that reason I keep a spreadsheet record of all my trigs visited complete with date/time and the full comment. A update that before copying to the website.

When TrigpointingUK went offline for several days previously, many of the users were totally lost. They were dependent on a phone app for locating everything. 'Old school' trig baggers like me carried on business as usual, using printed maps and other data lists as we did before all this went online during 2003.

I hope you can get all your data sorted out albeit time consuming.

G

Re: Tripoints in a day???

Posted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:26 pm
by agentmancuso
Yes, admins can reset forgotten passwords. We can't merge accounts or anything like that though.

Re: Tripoints in a day???

Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:01 pm
by Susan B
agentmancuso wrote:Yes, admins can reset forgotten passwords. We can't merge accounts or anything like that though.
HI there, I am having issues using the forgotten password link, is it possible an admin can help me to reset my password? I know my username and email address but the reset button is telling me they do not match. I have created this account to post on the forum.

Re: Tripoints in a day???

Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:41 pm
by agentmancuso
Hi, yes, I should be able to sort that; can you give me your username from T:UK?

Re: Tripoints in a day???

Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:00 pm
by ted
I agree that misinformation, especially concerning visit dates, can be frustrating.
But to be fair, guidelines for newcomers to TPUK are not easy to find.

Maybe an FAQ is needed? If there already is one, I couldn't find it :?

Ted