Page 1 of 1
Broom Hill TP1679, Northumberland
Posted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:32 pm
by A1mushroom
Was going to bag this one today but there is wheat in the field and no tram lines near the trig. But I didn't even get to the entrance to the field. I parked at NZ119831 and walked along the track, but was stopped by an approaching car. The occupants were quite aggressive and rude and basically told me to go away. I didn't argue, i asked about accessing the trig when the crops had finished. I was told to ask at the farm house, maybe Riplington? But they never said. I was repeatedly told that this was a private road and private property. Got the feeling that no one is welcome.
Re: Broom Hill TP1679, Northumberland
Posted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:37 pm
by clochandighter
I have visited S3687 twice, each time without incident. GOMLing is rare in Northumberland.
Sounds like you have been unlucky with your timing. As you were on foot, you were not breaking the law, but they were possibly acting illegally by intimidating you like that.
Personally, I would have been tempted to tell them where to go, but then there is the matter of your unattended parked car which could fall prey to these morons.
Knowing this now, if I was to revisit, I would probably park further away and go cross country, climbing gates and fences as necessary.
You were still on a track, so the polite approach didn't work.
G.
Re: Broom Hill TP1679, Northumberland
Posted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:06 am
by A1mushroom
Its the first time Ive ever encountered anyone like that. Every other land owner I've encountered we've had a chat I've thanked them for access and gone on my way. I think i was just unlucky yesterday but the next visit will be across country and either very early in the morning or very late at night. As we usually take my wife's VW Polo on the trig bagging days (its easier to park) I'm now inclined to park further away as well like you said G. Its bright red so does attract some attention

.
I'm fortunate to live in Scotland with our Right To Roam so i tend to forget about the different laws in England, and being an easy going guy i also forget about all the obnoxious people in the world.