Page 1 of 1
Cast iron marker plates
Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:33 pm
by DerekTP

- er.jpg (120.49 KiB) Viewed 7883 times

- vr.jpg (116.63 KiB) Viewed 7883 times
Have recently found these cast iron markers; originally I thought they were fire hydrant plates but on further research I believe they are some form of trig point. (Full-size pictures are at
http://derektp.co.uk/dsci0220.jpg and
http://derektp.co.uk/dsci0221.jpg) I assume they relate to Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth respectively. I've since found a 3rd (ER) example about 100 yards away, not in such good condition. I've made various enquiries and googled, but can't identify what these were, though have found a few Georgian ones too!
Apologies if I'm in entirely the wrong place, but glad to have found you guys anyway... always interested in things like fire hydrants, manhole covers, coalposts etc so this fits in well!
(Have signed-up here since the contact page on your website says I've entered the Captcha wrongly - but there is no captcha!

)
Re: Cast iron marker plates
Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:09 pm
by agentmancuso
Welcome. I think those are GPO cable markers or something of the sort; not triangulation stations at any rate.
Re: Cast iron marker plates
Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:02 pm
by DerekTP
After further investigations, consensus seems to be that this is a type of Ordnance Survey benchmark. They are used to mark heights above Fundamental Bench Marks, and carried either a printed plate or cast figures to indicate the height. This all seem to make sense; carrying the monarch's regnal initials and crown symbol indicate the "owner" is a royal-appointed body, such as the Post Office or the Ordnance Survey. I've found databases of benchmarks, but these only include either engraved marks or "flush brackets" which are affixed to walls. I can't locate a database or indeed much information on these cast iron markers. I have confirmed, though, that in the area where these were found the bench marks were recalibrated in 1956, and with the actual mark on the Victorian one below the pavement level, it would have been necessary to install and recalibrate another as close as possible, and in '56 this would carry the ER insignia. I'd love to know more about them, however, including why they were used in preference to flush brackets or engraved marks, and why there is so little documentation / photographic evidence. If anyone knows the whereabouts of more, or even better has photos, I'd really like to see them here.
Re: Cast iron marker plates
Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:12 pm
by agentmancuso
Sorry, but no. The markers in the photograph are not benchmarks, but GPO cable markers or something similar.
Re: Cast iron marker plates
Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:46 am
by DerekTP
Hi...

Assume you mean GPO, not GPS? Seems unlikely (though
just about possible); there are ones marked VR which implies installed pre-1901; telephones only came to this area in 1899. Have had professional surveyors tell me these things are benchmarks... This just gets more intriguing. Someone somewhere must have a definitive answer?
Re: Cast iron marker plates
Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:05 pm
by agentmancuso
Definitive answer: these markers have nothing to do with the Ordnance Survey.