Page 1 of 1
Trigpoint refresh recommended
Posted: Sat May 31, 2014 8:19 pm
by Teasel
The database of trigpoints stored by the android app needs to be refreshed every now and again, in order to pick up new trigpoints or changes in trigpoint condition, location etc. Given that I've just added 10,000-odd new OSGB36 trigpoints, I recommend that people re-download the trigpoint data now. To do this, select the "Download Trig Database" option from the menu on the main page and click "Download".
Re: Trigpoint refresh recommended
Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:03 pm
by dave-harris
Thanks for this. I have just downloaded the update. Good job i was using my wifi, it was downloaded in seconds. Does this save the database on the sim card on the phone, or just the phone? Just curious thats all

Re: Trigpoint refresh recommended
Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:05 am
by Teasel
The database of trigpoints can only be stored on the phone itself, you can't move it to the SD card. This was a deliberate decision, to prevent problems if the phone was used without the right SD card. But the database is less than 3MB, so it really shouldn't make too much of a dent in your phone's local storage. (The database download is compressed to around 500KB over the network, to save you data charges).
Offline maps are a different kettle of fish. Weighing in at up to 400MB these are stored to the SD card. But, it's not that simple... Annoyingly, on most modern phones, that still comes out of the phone's main storage. The "internal SD card", if you like. For those people with recent phones which support optional, removable microSD cards (eg some Samsung Galaxies), I'm afraid you can't put your map tiles on the external card. And the new 'KitKat' version of Android has muddied the waters even more, so I'm not sure whether this will ever be possible.
Cheers,
Ian
ps I assume you meant the SD card. The SIM card itself is too small to store anything more than a few names and phone numbers.
Re: Trigpoint refresh recommended
Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:58 pm
by dave-harris
Yes, my mistake. I did mean SD card. And thanks for the info. Makes sense
