Page 1 of 1

Silly Q regarding FBM's and Intersected Stations

Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:26 pm
by dot924
Do all Intersected Stations have FBM,s or is it that some are just measured on a point such as a weather vane? Also how would I know if an Intersected station has an FBM. I missed one on a church in Ripon while visiting a friend a while back. It is about about 220 miles from me and I can't just pop back! I don't want to miss any more. Thanks

Re: Silly Q regarding FBM's and Intersected Stations

Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:43 pm
by agentmancuso
I take it you are referring to benchmarks generally, rather than FBMs (Fundamental Benchmarks). There are only about 200 of the later and they have no connection whatsoever with intersected stations.

Intersected stations are visible points triangulated from a distance; there is no physical evidence on the point itself.

Many buildings that happen to be intersected stations also have benchmarks on them, but this is purely coincidental. Many benchmarks are logged on this site. There are many other benchmarks not yet logged; the OS list about half a million of them here, and there are countless others only shown on old maps or not listed anywhere at all.