Help please
Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:34 am
Hello everyone.
Recently on the 9th May 2020 painterman61 posted some information on the trig point located at Black Hameldon moor SD 91422 29101. My interest in this was related to the crash site of WW2 B-24 Liberator 42-50668 and the poster gave an 8 figure reference for the location of the final resting place of this aircraft.
I have tried to find the site using a 6 figure reference, which is contained in a book listing similar sites all over the UK, but I failed miserably. I have just ordered a reasonable GPS map unit and when it arrives I will try again. If my thinking is correct a 6 figure reference on a desolate moor such as Black Hameldon means that I could be 100 metres away from the location and not see it so hopefully the 8 figure reference will get me there.
So here is my question. The book listing these historic sites only gives 6 figure references and so have any of your regular posters visited similar sites on the Peninnes, Peak District or North Wales and if so where can I find the grid references.
My interest in these sites is largely because my dad flew heavy bombers during WW2 and in fact the aircraft on Black Hameldon whilst being an AAF version is exactly what my dad flew from 1944 through to the end of 1945.
Many thanks. John Edgington
Recently on the 9th May 2020 painterman61 posted some information on the trig point located at Black Hameldon moor SD 91422 29101. My interest in this was related to the crash site of WW2 B-24 Liberator 42-50668 and the poster gave an 8 figure reference for the location of the final resting place of this aircraft.
I have tried to find the site using a 6 figure reference, which is contained in a book listing similar sites all over the UK, but I failed miserably. I have just ordered a reasonable GPS map unit and when it arrives I will try again. If my thinking is correct a 6 figure reference on a desolate moor such as Black Hameldon means that I could be 100 metres away from the location and not see it so hopefully the 8 figure reference will get me there.
So here is my question. The book listing these historic sites only gives 6 figure references and so have any of your regular posters visited similar sites on the Peninnes, Peak District or North Wales and if so where can I find the grid references.
My interest in these sites is largely because my dad flew heavy bombers during WW2 and in fact the aircraft on Black Hameldon whilst being an AAF version is exactly what my dad flew from 1944 through to the end of 1945.
Many thanks. John Edgington