Page 1 of 1

Additional Marker at a Trig point.

Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:37 pm
by yakky58
I happened upon Castle Hill Folkstone to look at TP7891 which is a concrete pillar. I didn't have time to look for the surface block. This pillar seems to be an addition. While taking a picture I saw what seems to be an additional marker... or maybe not. In the uploaded picture it is in the foreground and sits 4.2m to the west of the pillar. Anyone know what this is and is it relevant to the trig point?

Re: Additional Marker at a Trig point.

Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:22 pm
by agentmancuso
Logs for the Block refer to a 'metal stump' 4.5m away, visible in one of the pictures; that could be what your after? I can't see the uploaded picture.

Re: Additional Marker at a Trig point.

Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:08 pm
by yakky58
Hi,
Thanks for the post. I found the metal stump but it was too dark to dig to look for the buried block. This marker on the ground as below the meatl stump and it appears next to a new trig point that is a concrete post. I had a friend with me who may have a better/clearer picture. let me see if I can get that uploaded.

Re: Additional Marker at a Trig point.

Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:44 am
by yakky58
Here is a better picture in context with the Pillar. The small maker on the ground.

Is that anything to do with the OS trig pillar?

Thanks, Nik

Re: Additional Marker at a Trig point.

Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:01 pm
by agentmancuso
It could possibly be a witness mark, used during the construction of the pillar itself. It's not standard, but then neither is the pillar itself! Or it could be unrelated, hard to say for sure.