Page 1 of 1
Longest sightline
Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:27 pm
by ted
Re: Longest sightline
Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:29 pm
by MAC.HAWK
Just shows you how much light/air pollution there is nowadays, back in the 60's The Who could see all the way from the UK to the city of Aggra (in India) on clear days!
Re: Longest sightline
Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:39 pm
by asbown
Had a read of that Ted, very interesting, but got me thinking on uk sightlines, looking north from Snowdon on a clear day I am sure you must be able to see Dumfries and Galloway, the problem is finding a clear day on Snowdon.
Re: Longest sightline
Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:01 pm
by MAC.HAWK
On a more sensible note I would add that, on the rare occasion that the clear day happens, from the summit of Snaefell on the Isle of Man you can clearly see the hills of Galloway (Scotland), the Lake District (England), Snowdonia (Wales) and the Mountains of Mourne (Ireland) - usually referred to as the '7 Kingdoms' (you need to include the 'Kingdoms' of Man, Sea & Heaven for the 7).
Have been very fortunate to have been able to see this on 3 or 4 occasions over the last 20 years or so on countless vacations on the island (the ascent not always via the Mountain Railway I hasten to add).
There are trig and topograph pillars at the summit too.
Re: Longest sightline
Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:28 am
by asbown
I had a quick look at my log for Snaefell, good views in all directions was all I mentioned, I am back to the isle of Man this summer so weather permitting I will check out the 7 Kingdoms.
Re: Longest sightline
Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:27 pm
by Triggirt
asbown wrote:Had a read of that Ted, very interesting, but got me thinking on uk sightlines, looking north from Snowdon on a clear day I am sure you must be able to see Dumfries and Galloway, the problem is finding a clear day on Snowdon.
It is possible in theory to see from Snowdon to Dumfries and Galloway. I find this to be a very interesting site, if you haven't already seen it:
http://viewfinderpanoramas.org/panorama ... WDON-N.gif
Click in the middle to enlarge, and you can scroll horizontally if you need to. There are several panoramas covering the full 360 degrees, with Scotland being visible in the second and third ones down. An explanation of why the longer theoretical view (Snowdon to Merrick) isn't shown is given at the very end of the article here:
http://viewfinderpanoramas.org/panorama ... glinesbrit