Page 1 of 1

New User; (Potentially) Old Question?

Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:16 am
by martinhinrich
Hi

I'm a new user, but have been fascinated by the Pillars since I was young.

It's half term here and I took my 5 year old up to see what I now know is TP6166 - Stapleford Hill. I then thought that perhaps there was some info on these on the internet and here I am. :shock:

Having downloaded the mobile app and having had a read of the website, I find that my local Church Spire http://trigpointing.uk/trig/15164 is an Intersected Station. My question is, I can see the spire, but is that what I'm looking for, or is there something specific on the spire that designates the actual placement?

(Or have I totally misunderstood)?

Thank you.

Re: New User; (Potentially) Old Question?

Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:58 pm
by Aqueously90
I'm afraid I can't help much - I haven't actively been seeking out bolts, IS's, and such. There is a stub on the wiki though: http://www.teasel.org/wiki/Intersected_Station

Basically, my understanding is that the structure itself counts as the trigpoint, so simply being there is enough for a log. With bolts and vanes, I assume that they actually have to be visible from the ground to count as a legitimate log.

One of the veterans may be able to give you a more accurate answer :)

Re: New User; (Potentially) Old Question?

Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:12 pm
by agentmancuso
Quite right; intersected stations have no physical OS marker present.

Re: New User; (Potentially) Old Question?

Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:19 pm
by martinhinrich
Thank you for your answers.