Page 1 of 1

Google Map of UK Pillars

Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:54 pm
by KMT138
Using the search tool, I've extracted information on all of the UK Pillars and converted the information to display in a Google Map:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit? ... sp=sharing

The pillars have been grouped based on condition. In the case of "Good" pillars, I had to split them over 3 layers as there were too many. I have checked locations of based on the ones I know, but obviously can't confirm the vast majority of them. So fingers crossed all the conversions are correct.I know there are a few with faulty data - I hope to look at these over the weekend.

I thought this mights be nice to share with other trig enthusiasts. I was hoping to also do this on other platforms, such as Facebook, but wanted to try and contact TP:UK to ask permission. I've tried the contact form, but it refuses to send due to a non-existing captur check. Is there another way to get in touch? Or do people feel it's ok to distribute elsewhere with credit?

Re: Google Map of UK Pillars

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:28 pm
by KMT138
I managed to find an email address for Teasel on his user page and make contact. He's given permission for the T:UK data to be used in this way

Along the way, I found another user who had done similar, though their map is hosted on GitHub. If you're interested, that can be found here: https://jdconey.github.io/run/trigmap

Also updated the wiki with a new "Maps" page. If anyone else finds/makes another map, feel free to add.
https://trigpointing.uk/wiki/Maps

Re: Google Map of UK Pillars

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:28 am
by stripytrigger
I'm not trying to stop you doing what you're doing, but (simply for the sake of my own pedantry) I feel I should point out that the data isn't necessarily Teasel's data. The majority of the data (e.g. location of trig points) presumably comes from OS originally but some data (e.g. pillar condition, corrections to locations) comes from users of this site. I'm not a lawyer but my understanding is that by submitting info to this site, users are implicitly giving permission for their contributions to be used on this site, but they are not expressly giving permission for their contributions to be used elsewhere. I'm not sure if that could lead to an actual legal issue (because I can't see what damages they could claim?) but thought it was worth pointing out.

I'd personally like to see this data set being made available with a proper permissive licence so it could be reused in lots of different ways, but I think that's tricky without the express consent of everyone who's ever submitted a contribution to the site.

Note I'm not an admin or owner of the site, I'm just a regular user. Nor am I a lawyer, so the thoughts above are simply my layperson's thoughts on the subject, no advice implied.

Re: Google Map of UK Pillars

Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:29 pm
by KMT138
"Blessing" is perhaps the more appropriate term than "permission".

I guess the way I see it, is that the data being used is the collated data held by T:UK. Whilst individual data entries will affect that collated information, I'm not directly viewing/using that information. It was also a case of seeking approval for using the tools provided by the website (e.g. search, download etc) to generate something that is hosted outside of the T:UK site.

I'm sure none of this would hold up if challenged legally, but as you say, I'm not sure who would challenge it. It's using community submitted data to create a free community resource. If I was aiming to sell the finished map (which I am not) that would be another matter.