Page 1 of 1

Is this a Bench Mark

Posted: Wed May 10, 2023 7:45 pm
by yakky58
Attached photo found on the Albert Edward Bridge near Ironbridge. Looked like a bolt sunk into the bridge structure. I can't make my mind up yes or no.

Re: Is this a Bench Mark

Posted: Thu May 11, 2023 10:48 pm
by MAC.HAWK
No photo attached at present

Re: Is this a Bench Mark

Posted: Sat May 20, 2023 10:04 am
by ted
> Is this a Bench Mark

> Attached photo found on the Albert Edward Bridge near Ironbridge.

Photo not seen; please try again.

> Looked like a bolt sunk into the bridge structure. I can't make my mind up yes or no.

The nearest bolt that I can find in the trigpoints database is on
Broseley church tower. Nothing seems to match in the benchmarks list either.
If the bolt that you saw is a survey mark then maybe not placed by the Ordnance Survey.

Re: Is this a Bench Mark

Posted: Sat May 20, 2023 2:16 pm
by yakky58
Sorry - file should be attached now.

Re: Is this a Bench Mark

Posted: Wed May 24, 2023 10:54 am
by ted
Hi,

I think your find might be an older-style Environment Agency Bench Mark.
Compare with this: https://trigpointing.uk/wiki/File:Non-OS_6.jpg
These marks are roughly 1.5" in diameter and have raised lettering 'EABM'
below the arrow.

In your case, the lettering is obscured, maybe ground off.

Its an interesting find but has nothing to do with the Ordnance Survey.

Re: Is this a Bench Mark

Posted: Sat May 27, 2023 10:40 am
by ted
I forgot to add that EABM markers can be logged at https://eabm.derektp.co.uk/