Page 1 of 1

Navigation / Hike Tracking App

Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:31 pm
by Epic Davinci
Hey,
What are people choices for apps to use to Track the walks / hikes to Trigs?
I use Gaia GPS, it seems to give a nice report of the trip, but is not too good for navigation.

I have been looking at the Ordinance Survey App with the subscription model for the map side of things, but not sure how it will be, has anyone any experience with it?

Re: Navigation / Hike Tracking App

Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 1:38 pm
by stripytrigger
Personally I'm a big fan of AlpineQuest (android only I think). It does a good job of tracking your walk, and outputs to a variety of formats. Nav is reasonable, you can load in a route and it'll show the route on the map, and you can set alerts for when you get near to a way point and (I think) when you stray too far from the route. Creating a route is best done elsewhere, though you can create one in alpine quest itself by clicking to add way points. Good support for a variety of maps, though no OS of course.

Re: Navigation / Hike Tracking App

Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:49 pm
by thecowboycoder
You can use the TrigFindAR app to record hikes, and they will be associated with any trig you bag along the way. If you find a usable route to an off-piste Trig, then you can share the route with other TrigFindAR users.