Page 1 of 1

Trigpoint photo - Where is this?

Posted: Mon May 20, 2024 4:54 pm
by Samtrig13
Hello,
I was just looking up trigpoints to maybe do on the web when I found this and wondered ‘Why is the base so high?’. Does anyone know the location of this trig and why. A reply would be greatly appreciated.
Here’s the image:
imresizer-1716220338067.jpg
imresizer-1716220338067.jpg (19.15 KiB) Viewed 35954 times
PS: Sorry about the bad quality. Won’t let me go above 250kb!

Re: Trigpoint photo - Where is this?

Posted: Mon May 20, 2024 7:04 pm
by MAC.HAWK
Looks like Cow Close Fell to me as it appears Pen-y-ghent is in the background (we're in the Yorkshire Dales area here - find Horton in Ribblesdale and PyG is a couple of miles east-ish and Cow Close Fell is across the next valley, ENE).

See https://trigpointing.uk/trig/2465

I think the base is 'so high' simply due to erosion, I've visited this pillar (admittedly some time ago) and the surrounding area is very badly eroded in places, something you can clearly see in some of the photo's that have been posted - no foul pay, just simple weathering.

Re: Trigpoint photo - Where is this?

Posted: Tue May 21, 2024 8:13 am
by Samtrig13
Thanks for the reply. Now I know! :D
By the way, while I’m here, does anyone know why Selsey trigpoint is sinking?

Re: Trigpoint photo - Where is this?

Posted: Tue May 21, 2024 10:38 am
by ted
An extreme example of erosion is Fell Top on the Bowland Fells (toppled, apparently by OS for Health and Safety reasons, in 2010).

Photos at http://www.trigpointinguk.com/trig/3135

Re: Trigpoint photo - Where is this?

Posted: Tue May 21, 2024 3:51 pm
by Samtrig13
Oh wow! Hope Selsey doesn’t end up like this :lol:

Re: Trigpoint photo - Where is this?

Posted: Tue May 21, 2024 3:55 pm
by Samtrig13
I also found this. I believe that it is on top of Loughrigg and the person is Eileen Jones. Why do vandals need to do this? :cry:

Re: Trigpoint photo - Where is this?

Posted: Sat May 25, 2024 10:42 am
by ted
> I also found this. I believe that it is on top of Loughrigg and the person is Eileen Jones. Why do vandals need to do this?

Yes, the trig is on Loughrigg Fell. Toppled early 2023 and restored a few months later. I visited last year and it was OK.

Photos, etc at https://trigpointing.uk/trig/4549

Re: Trigpoint photo - Where is this?

Posted: Sat May 25, 2024 6:32 pm
by Samtrig13
Good to know it’s ok… I think Brick Kiln Farm could be destroyed in a few years too. The A27 upgrades seem to be going through but we have to hope for the best really. Here’s the page: https://trigpointing.uk/trig/1620