Page 1 of 1
Alderney trig points incorrect location
Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2025 6:11 pm
by stripytrigger
Not sure who can fix this, but I noticed that the location of the following four trigs is totally wrong. I don't mean a minor error, they're showing as way out in the Atlantic, nowhere near Alderney.
TP25773 "Le Rond But (Alderney)"
TP25774 "Telegraph Bay (Alderney)"
TP25776 "Giffoine (Alderney)"
TP25777 "Essex Hill (Alderney)"
All four have some coordinates supplied in the logged visits, so those seem like reasonable coordinates to use if there isn't anything more official.
Re: Alderney trig points incorrect location
Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2025 12:05 pm
by agentmancuso
We can't fix this, despite having good coordinates, because Alderney lies outside the OSGB grid; hence the map defaults to the origin point of that grid.
Re: Alderney trig points incorrect location
Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2025 12:05 pm
by stripytrigger
Thanks agentmancuso, that's interesting.
Let's ignore the visual map for a moment - I still think the displayed grid reference is wrong. E.g. for
https://trigpointing.uk/trig/25773 the grid reference is shown as WA 57817 06737. From eyeballing the diagram on the top left of
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... l_Grid.svg it would appear that anything in the channel islands should have a grid reference beginning with X, not W.
Unless you're saying that T:UK simply doesn't support storing those grid references? If this is the case I wouldn't expect it to be happy with a reference starting with W either, which it does appear to display happily enough. Additionally, the four entries mentioned in my previous message all have different grid references, suggesting they represent specific locations, rather than simply defaulting to some origin point (as you'd expect them to all the be same in that case).
I am aware that there are accuracy issues outside of the main OSGB grid, and that many algorithms simply won't convert grid references outside of this grid. However, I assume that T:UK stores/displays locations as grid references and thus there are no other options to store the coordinates (without someone doing a lot of work to change how T:UK works) - but I think that having an accurate-ish grid reference is still worthwhile if possible.
Re: Alderney trig points incorrect location
Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2025 11:14 am
by agentmancuso
The GR10s displayed on individual pages are (at least reasonably) accurate. But they are displayed in a format that commonly appears on local mapping in the Channel Islands, (a version of UTM I believe) not in BNG, precisely because they stand outside that grid i.e. south of the 'X_' square.
Re: Alderney trig points incorrect location
Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2025 2:34 pm
by stripytrigger
Oh, that makes much more sense! For some reason I didn't even think that they might be anything other than BNG refs. Thanks for clarifying
