Page 1 of 7
Server migration / website re-write
Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2025 5:28 pm
by admin
Hi all,
The next stage in the vacating of our old webserver will begin this weekend. The database will be moved onto a new, dedicated server. And the website code itself is being completely re-written from scratch. This is the biggest piece of maintenance to the site in well over a decade, so some disruption is inevitable. I will attempt to keep the old website available in read-only mode as much as possible, but there will likely be a substantial period during which logging new finds will not be possible. This downtime will also affect the Android application, though the wiki and forum should be unaffected.
The new-look website is in its early stages, and much of the functionality of the existing site will initially be missing, or suffer from performance issues. The biggest loss will be that of TrigTools, which is intimately linked to the data structure and authentication system of the old server, and will be impossible to easily "lift-and-shift" across. I'll be coordinating with Barry over the coming months to decide how to restore fully-featured and extensible data-mining functionality to the website.
So, apologies in advance for any downtime, but the old server really is on its last legs, so this can't be postponed any longer!
Cheers,
Ian
Re: Server migration / website re-write
Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2025 1:44 pm
by eon1
Cheers Ian for all you are doing and have already done - it is greatly appreciated!
Re: Server migration / website re-write
Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2025 2:27 pm
by admin
OK, the new server is now running and the old one is in a well-deserved retirement!
The new website is being a little temperamental, but should be in a usable state for finding and logging trigpoints.
Next step is to trim down the database (we still have columns from the days of GeocacheUK in there!) and generally attempt to improve performance, while fixing bugs as I go.
Please let me know of any issues you come across, and what missing functionality you'd like added / replaced.
Re: Server migration / website re-write
Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2025 2:33 pm
by Foxy
Loving the new site albeit I've only just realised it had been updated. I am having problems logging trigs though. I'm at home an Im trying to the trigs that I've visited recently but with no luck. The form states the location is optional but it defaults to my home location and I can't see a way to remove the location. Is it no longer possible to log trigs from home? Any idea what the issue might be?
Re: Server migration / website re-write
Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2025 3:02 pm
by admin
Hmmm, it shouldn't be entering a location unless you select it. And if you do accidentally select current location, then refreshing the page should sort that out. I guess that's not happening though. Are you using a laptop or a mobile?
There's currently no option to clear the location field, nor to enter at home coordinates recorded on site. I'll prioritise getting that working!
Re: Server migration / website re-write
Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2025 3:24 pm
by BasilDowl
Hi Ian
Just wanted to say thanks for all your hard work on this - and all for the love of the game!!
Cheers. One tiny, teeny request, if it even possible? Will there be a page to view and edit all your logs? I started a numbering system around about #330, and I'd like to go back and add this to the previous ones, but it is such a laborious task... if the "view all logs" page had the edit facility added, that would be an utter godsend...! But no drama if not.
Thanks again - Dave
Re: Server migration / website re-write
Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2025 4:54 pm
by S1534&Beyond
Much obliged for all your hard work. Navigating the new site and really like the search feature with the icons. Re a previous comment re editing if you click on the text below (or the date if no text entered previously) the TP and User it lets you edit historical ones although I get a photo upload fail error even at low resolution. Tried on both mobile and laptop. Appreciate it is still in the test stages.
I have successfully uploaded an image but at very low resolution- 69kb. Did the old site have an auto adjust for uploading file sizes? If so that would be helpful please.
Re: Server migration / website re-write
Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2025 6:58 pm
by Gregory Mann
Love the new website design, although somewhat miss the retro feel of the old site ahah
However, one small problem for me - I've lost all of my logs. Is this a time transfer kind of thing or should it all have been migrated already? Thanks
Re: Server migration / website re-write
Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2025 7:32 pm
by mitsiman1
Many many thanks for all the hard work - much appreciated. Looking good so far.
Re: Server migration / website re-write
Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2025 9:26 pm
by BasilDowl
S1534&Beyond wrote: Sat Nov 29, 2025 4:54 pm
Much obliged for all your hard work. Navigating the new site and really like the search feature with the icons. Re a previous comment re editing if you click on the text below (or the date if no text entered previously) the TP and User it lets you edit historical ones although I get a photo upload fail error even at low resolution. Tried on both mobile and laptop. Appreciate it is still in the test stages.
I have successfully uploaded an image but at very low resolution- 69kb. Did the old site have an auto adjust for uploading file sizes? If so that would be helpful please.
Exactly the solution I was looking for - thanks for the heads up.