Page 1 of 1

Ordnance Survey contact details for trigs at risk?

Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2025 11:17 pm
by Benfro Bagger
Apologies if this topic has been discussed before. Does anyone know of any contacts at Ordnance Survey who may be able to help save trig points that are at risk of being destroyed or lost? I'm very new to trig pointing (I've logged 20 pillars in my first 10 days) and I have already come across a pillar that is on land imminently being developed into a large housing estate with the pillars' current location being where a proposed plot will be (Ty-Bronna pillar near Cardiff). There is no mention at all of this pillar in any of the planning documents I've searched so it seems that the trig points are not a consideration at all when it comes to housing developments. Of course not expecting planners to deny permission because of a trig pillar but surely it should be agreed to at least relocate them or retain them somehow. Do Ordnance Survey have any say or influence regarding this or are they simply not aware or not consulted when developments clash with existing trig point locations? Perhaps there are people at Ordnance Survey who could help with relocating at-risk pillars if they are given the heads up or enough notice? I'm happy to get in touch with OS myself but not sure whether I would have any joy so thought I'd check whether others have tried this before first?? Thanks all!

Re: Ordnance Survey contact details for trigs at risk?

Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2025 10:25 am
by agentmancuso
Unfortunately the OS have no interest in preserving pillars, despite technical ownership.

Re: Ordnance Survey contact details for trigs at risk?

Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2025 3:31 pm
by Benfro Bagger
That's a shame, many thanks for reply!

Re: Ordnance Survey contact details for trigs at risk?

Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2025 3:37 am
by BasilDowl
I have had success with writing to developers and with objecting to planning decisions. I managed to get the reinstatement and protection of Idle Hill in Bradford added as a planning condition to the development there by objecting on the grounds of local and national historical interest and importance.

Worth a go if a housing development is going ahead, maybe find the details for the site foreman if nothing else.