Page 1 of 1

New Website Bugs

Posted: Sun Jan 25, 2026 7:52 pm
by sykesfamily1
Hello,

The new website is rather splendid ... I particularly like the timeline map animation of trigs bagged.

I noticed a couple of tiny bugs today whilst perusing the site:
1. The number of 'Registerer Users' on the home page shows 15,344 but when you click on this hyperlink the number of 'Trigpointing members' is 6,802 (see attached screenshots).
2. When searching for a trig point log by date, the calendar dropdown that appears is misaligned, i.e. in the screenshot attached the 3 April 2010 is a Tuesday whilst the 4 April 2010 is a Sunday.

Hope this helps.
Keep up the good work.

Cheers,
Garry

Re: New Website Bugs

Posted: Sun Jan 25, 2026 10:47 pm
by Teasel
Hi Garry,

Glad you like the new map. I find it quite mesmerising, and now want to hook it up to the dates the OS surveyed each trig, to see what that looks like!

Thanks for the bug reports! Both issues should now be fixed. I've changed the figure on the home page to only count users who have logged at least one trigpoint. The numbers may sometimes be slightly different (the home page stats update every hour; the user stats every 5 mins), but should now be close.

A couple of thousand automated tests get run before each update, to try to keep old stuff from breaking. But new bugs still require the human eyeball to find, so very much appreciated!

Cheers,
Ian

Re: New Website Bugs

Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2026 12:05 am
by Teasel

Re: New Website Bugs

Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2026 7:31 pm
by agentmancuso
Found the new trig function; all seems well except the onscreen TP number is given as 10000 for both new stations I added (TP26011 & TP26012).

Similar to the recent issue with OSGB grid squares; appearing wrong but working in practice.

Re: New Website Bugs

Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2026 10:28 am
by Teasel
That makes sense... as much as possible I try to separate the data fields used by code from those displayed to people. Things break twice as often, but are ten times easier to fix!

Waypoints should now be calculated correctly for new trigpoints. No county or town fields as yet, but that's a work in progress for the whole site... the database of towns is a relic that Mark hacked out of his GPSr, back in the day, and counties are as much a function of personal preferences as they are of actual location!

On which note... any objections if I use the "County" field in the trigpoint details pages to reflect the postal counties as they were before Unitary Authorities happened? That's what they were on the old website. Available alternatives are: Historic Counties, Ceremonial Counties, or current administrative authority. If opinions differ, I suppose I could always make it a user preference!

Re: New Website Bugs

Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2026 5:36 pm
by agentmancuso
Counties are a messy business, not least because the situation developed differently in Scotland. For me personally, the only meaningful options are either the current set of (1997) council areas, or the tidied-up set of historical counties (1889-1975). But it's not a hill I'd die on, and you'll never keep everybody happy.

Re: New Website Bugs

Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2026 9:25 pm
by Teasel
OK, the counties shown in the trigpoint details pages are now derived from the 1991 boundaries. (At least for GB... still working on Ireland)