Page 1 of 1
What else do you do at the pillar?
Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2026 9:09 pm
by jonralph1
So I am new to trig point bagging but I want to do a bit more than just ticking them off. I'm an engineer and an ex scout so I enjoy the whole maths and mechanics of the trig point network. So I get to the top, see if I can spot the other trig points with binoculars (I'm going to have to start lugging up some sandtex and painting them back to white, maybe with a couple of high Viz yellow stripes so I can see them) I might try taking bearings. I get home and draw a pencil line on the paper land ranger map from the trig point I am at to the trig points. I can see.
So apart from the selfies, the cuddly toy or the spaniel on top of the pillar, what more do you do?
Re: What else do you do at the pillar?
Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2026 6:51 pm
by sykesfamily1
A flask of coffee and a date slice

Re: What else do you do at the pillar?
Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2026 11:12 pm
by jonralph1
decent thing to do! I would love to do that, I will in summer. Just stuck in NE Scotland and a 'blocked weather system' haven't seen the sun since 21st Jan and rained more than that. So I went up kingshill, necked an energy gel and some lucozade and ran back down for cover!
Re: What else do you do at the pillar?
Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2026 11:04 pm
by BasilDowl
jonralph1 wrote: Fri Jan 30, 2026 9:09 pm
So I am new to trig point bagging but I want to do a bit more than just ticking them off. I'm an engineer and an ex scout so I enjoy the whole maths and mechanics of the trig point network. So I get to the top, see if I can spot the other trig points with binoculars (I'm going to have to start lugging up some sandtex and painting them back to white, maybe with a couple of high Viz yellow stripes so I can see them) I might try taking bearings. I get home and draw a pencil line on the paper land ranger map from the trig point I am at to the trig points. I can see.
So apart from the selfies, the cuddly toy or the spaniel on top of the pillar, what more do you do?
I assume you're joking about the high-viz stripes, but just in case... please don't!

Re: What else do you do at the pillar?
Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2026 11:37 am
by ted1
> I might try taking bearings. I get home and draw a pencil line on the paper land ranger map from the trig point I am at to the trig points.
Heres an example from 1962 of bearings taken by the OS from
https://trigpointing.uk/trigs/16545 Millstone Rigg to other nearby trig stations:
https://wiki.trigpointing.uk/images/e/e ... 3_0007.jpg
Re: What else do you do at the pillar?
Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2026 7:14 pm
by jonralph1
Exactly what I do. Except on the explorer map. I have started painting them, I cant see them to take a bearing if they are brown, so repainting them to the white of my youth. It really makes a difference to visibility. Painted my nearest last week (Brimmond Hill TP 0666)and I can clearly see it from the Hill of Kier TP3883 (with a monocular), painted that one too.