Page 1 of 1
TP3843 - Hill, named incorrectly
Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2026 7:34 pm
by jonralph1
TP3843 - Hill (cute name) is named incorrectly, it should be Knock Hill.
Only saw this as a recent log, was the first ever log of this trig point! Fabulous!
Re: TP3843 - Hill, named incorrectly
Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2026 6:13 pm
by agentmancuso
Thanks, but names on T:UK are taken from the OSGB36 archive. Many of these names vary from what might be expected from OS mapping (Schichallion is the famous example), but we stick to the principle anyway, not least because the names on OS maps are no more nor less reliable than those in the OSGB36 archive, just more familiar.
Sometimes typos etc do arise of course; you can always check the 'Official Data' box on each trig page for confirmation.
Re: TP3843 - Hill, named incorrectly
Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2026 7:52 pm
by jonralph1
Cool, I prefer 'Hill' it's quirky. Thanks
Re: TP3843 - Hill, named incorrectly
Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2026 10:54 pm
by Teasel
My favourite, certainly the most complained about, is probably Sca Fell (which is not actually on Scafell, but rather Scafell Pike). Embarrassingly, I'd not come across "Hill" before, but I have
added it the list!
Re: TP3843 - Hill, named incorrectly
Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2026 10:24 pm
by jonralph1
thanks for the link to the wiki, will bear that in mind. I still think 'Hill' is rather cool, and its a day trip!
I have fond memories of Scafell/Sca Fell pike as a tween, late 70's, early 80's. holiday on Wastwater. 2 nuclear families and a black lab going up, didn't see a soul, bit of a scramble near the top, shrouded in mist, silence, nobody else to be seen. Get to the top and there is a 100 odd people at the top, munching on Kendall mint cake!