Page 1 of 1
Toppled pillar near Reading grid ref :- SU639813
Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:40 pm
by Ocean Soul
Making my way back from Twickenham yesterday we decided to get a few trigs in the Reading area . Having successfully found the one on Greenmoor Hill in Woodcote I headed south towards Pangbourne and spotted a toppled pillar in a field gateway at the above grid reference (Had not got GPS so cannot be more accurate) . Having screeched the car to a halt and got out to investigate I was dismayed to find that the flush bracket is , typically , face down and I could not even get my hand underneath to check it . The ropes that have been used to uproot pillar are still wrapped around the top . Having got home and checked site I cannot find any logs from trigs in the area for toppled pillars . It is not Greenmoor Hill/Dunsden or Birch Heath as I did these yesterday . Has anyone more local to the area any idea where it has come from ? Please email
[email protected] with any information which would be gratefully received ..
Many thanks
Rich Barlow (aka Ocean Soul)
Re: Toppled pillar near Reading grid ref :- SU639813
Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:26 pm
by ted
Hi Rich,
Is what you saw the same as this before it was toppled?
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/590806
If so I think that, although very similar, perhaps its not actually an OS trig.
The Geograph photo seems shows that the pillar and plinth were moulded as one
and there are no sighting holes.
Also the top metalwork doesn't look like a trig spider although of course it could
be a later addition. Did you get a chance to check the top?
REgards
Ted
Re: Toppled pillar near Reading grid ref :- SU639813
Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:08 pm
by Ocean Soul
Hi Ted
Many thanks for your reply .. That is exactly the one that I saw although the location looks different . I assumed that the spider had been deliberately removed and that the flush bracket was face down .. Mystery solved ..
Many thanks
Rich
Re: Toppled pillar near Reading grid ref :- SU639813
Posted: Fri May 15, 2015 11:47 am
by griefmiester
I visited this site today, I can confirm that this is not an OS Pillar, I have no idea what it is, but it is definitely not the correct construction it is hollow, has no site holes and the top has a hollow section.