Page 1 of 1
How many in the UK
Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:46 am
by fionaoutdoors
For the purposes of trig bagging how many are there to tick off in the UK and in Scotland only? Thanks.
Re: How many in the UK
Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:55 am
by Aqueously90
It's not perfect, but by going by the grid-ref prefixes, there are...
2691 in Scotland and IoM (H and N prefixes)
4013 in England and Wales (S and T prefixes)
I'm sure Graeme or Rob has an exact number.
Re: How many in the UK
Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:53 pm
by peregrinus
Aqueously90 wrote:It's not perfect, but by going by the grid-ref prefixes, there are...
2691 in Scotland and IoM (H and N prefixes)
4013 in England and Wales (S and T prefixes)
I'm sure Graeme or Rob has an exact number.
Exact would be tricky as they keep disappearing and occasionally reappearing.
Around 6150 extant pillars currently, I would estimate.
Re: How many in the UK
Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:16 pm
by peregrinus
peregrinus wrote:
Exact would be tricky as they keep disappearing and occasionally reappearing.
Around 6150 extant pillars currently, I would estimate.
Just noticed this thread
http://trigpointing.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=41
Summarising:
SURVIVORS (at original site) 5974
MOVED / DUMPED (with FB) 67
DESTROYED (Gone or remains) 549
Thus the baggable total "As at 31/12/2014" would be 5974 + 67 (6041) plus however many empty bases / bits of concrete one cares to count (TPUK recognises 50 Pillars with condition Remains, currently). Personally I have counted any clearly-recognisable remains. Plus any others which were intact when visited but no longer present. This latter category largely a function of one's age and the quality of one's record-keeping.