Page 1 of 1

Garden pillar

Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:35 pm
by nekyram
Hi this my first post on here.A few years ago I built a pillar in my garden.
Viewing welcome east401219north154238,do you think it's worthy of listing
with robs pillar.
Thanks Nekyram

Re: Garden pillar

Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:48 am
by ted
Hi,

> A few years ago I built a pillar in my garden.

> Viewing welcome east401219north154238,
> do you think it's worthy of listing with robs pillar.

I'm not sure where we draw the line on including trig 'ephemera'
that were never used for surveying.

In the case of Rob's Pillar http://trigpointing.uk/trig/12707
the spider and plug appear to be genuine (or else a very good copy).

Likewise in the case of Newcastle University's pillar
http://trigpointing.uk/trig/7365 the Flush Bracket
came from the OS so theres a tenuous link.

Counter examples might include the trig-like pillar that marks one
end of the Transpennine Trail in Hornsea. This was previously added
to the TrigpointingUK database but subsequently deleted as it has
no OS relevance.

Likewise, many non-OS survey pillars used in reservoir construction are
not added although they might merit the inclusion of a photo when recording
a visit to a nearby real trig. Similarly with non-survey pillars such as
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/590806

So its a grey area but maybe evidence of an OS connection or the inclusion
of some part of genuine trig metalwork is one criteria


Regards
Ted

Re: Garden pillar

Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:25 am
by nekyram
Thanks Ted for that information
Ken

Re: Garden pillar

Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:43 pm
by MAC.HAWK
If Rob's Pillar gets in I'm not sure why this one shouldn't. If the argument is that they have to have been used for OS surveying purposes then Rob's should be removed unless there's confirmation that the spider or flush bracket were original OS features, in which case it would be useful to know where both or either are originally from.

However, as a sheer bit of fun, and as both are welcoming visitor viewings, I'm of the opinion why not..................... I'm sure I'm not the only one who would love to have a trig pillar (not an original unless it was going to be destroyed) in my garden ......... come to think of it, my wife bought/installed me a waymarker post in the garden for my birthday, now Christmas 2016.......................hmmmmmmmm

Re: Garden pillar

Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:25 pm
by nekyram
Mac.Hawk
Thanks for your comments
Ken

Re: Garden pillar

Posted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:01 pm
by peregrinus
nekyram wrote:Hi this my first post on here.A few years ago I built a pillar in my garden.
Viewing welcome east401219north154238,do you think it's worthy of listing
with robs pillar.
Thanks Nekyram
Welcome to the forum! From the photos I've seen on the facebook trig group, it's a fine imitation of a Hotine pillar and I think it would be OK to add. Of course if everyone starting self-building pillars we might have to be more exclusive...

Interested to see what others think

Re: Garden pillar

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:27 pm
by ted
if everyone starting self-building pillars we might have to be more exclusive...
You mean like this? https://www.flickr.com/photos/79063372@ ... 4593542639

:D

Re: Garden pillar

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:35 pm
by peregrinus
Ha ha good point. That one seems more like a Ye Olde Survey Monument which moves around the country

Re: Garden pillar

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:12 pm
by MAC.HAWK
Ah, fantastic - I've been up lots of hills when I've thought 'why isn't there a pillar up here' - I'm waiting for Mountain Warehouse to sell a 'pop-up' one!