TP5505 - Porton
-
griefmiester
- Posts: 7
- Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:43 pm
TP5505 - Porton
I revisited this today, in light of previous logs, there is a pillar as mentioned, I do not think it is an OS, it appears to be taller & thinner, possibly a construction pillar? - I did not take any pictures (due to official secrets stuff) if you approach from the road corner to the SW and walk to the 5th big gap in the trees (SU16213 38702), the pillar is located about 20m past the fence. What do others think?
- agentmancuso
- Posts: 338
- Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:59 pm
- Location: EK
- Contact:
Re: TP5505 - Porton
On the balance of probability, a landscaping pillar dating from the construction of the airfield seems most likely to me.
-
Woodleywalker
- Posts: 4
- Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:35 pm
Re: TP5505 - Porton
Please what is a "landscaping pillar" in the hope that I don't make the same mistake again?
-
griefmiester
- Posts: 7
- Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:43 pm
Re: TP5505 - Porton
A landscaping pillar might be something used for a construction project, you very often see them at military airfields and dams, still of interest (there is a Facebook site for them) but TPUK is about Ordnance Survey, definitely good to point it out.
- agentmancuso
- Posts: 338
- Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:59 pm
- Location: EK
- Contact:
Re: TP5505 - Porton
Yes, definitely worth knowing about!
Landscaping pillar isn't a formal term; I just meant a pillar used as part of the design and construction of the immediate landscape, in this case the airfield, rather than as part of the OSGB36 mapping project.
Landscaping pillar isn't a formal term; I just meant a pillar used as part of the design and construction of the immediate landscape, in this case the airfield, rather than as part of the OSGB36 mapping project.