Mystery of Trig point missing on your map

General discussion about trigpoints, the TrigpointingUK website etc
Post Reply
Chris Appleby
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:58 am

Mystery of Trig point missing on your map

Post by Chris Appleby »

I'd like to ask if anyone has information about an old trig point that does not appear on this site's map.
It is marked on old maps but no trace of it seems to exist on the ground today. It stopped appearing on maps in the 1960's
I have found traces of worked stone with intriguing metal work attached in the spot where it was. Pic attached. I'm not sure if this was part of the original station or just a red herring. It's in the middle of a field so no reason why it would be there otherwise. I have a hi res version of the pic but could not upload it due to upload size restrictions. This is the location:
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by ... ht=BingHyb
Old map from 1951 attached too.
Attachments
DSC_0536 small.jpg
DSC_0536 small.jpg (16.79 KiB) Viewed 8889 times
trig point long lost kimberley watnall small.jpg
trig point long lost kimberley watnall small.jpg (248.15 KiB) Viewed 8889 times
User avatar
agentmancuso
Posts: 338
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:59 pm
Location: EK
Contact:

Re: Mystery of Trig point missing on your map

Post by agentmancuso »

I can't see any reference to that location on the OSGB36 archive. It could well be an 'Old Trig' i.e. a remnant of the first triangulation in the early 1800s. Unfortunately no full record of Old Trig stations is available, afaik.
Rowedog84
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:30 pm

Re: Mystery of Trig point missing on your map

Post by Rowedog84 »

Hi , today I found the Ringshill place trig point buried at the location whilst metal detecting. It seems to be a round plate with a rivet in the middle. It’s about a foot deep in the field so that’s probably why it’s no one has been able to locate it. Is this something that is of interest to the people on this site? If so I’m happy to show somebody otherwise I’ll leave it for some other treasure hunter to uncover. Regards Dan
User avatar
agentmancuso
Posts: 338
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:59 pm
Location: EK
Contact:

Re: Mystery of Trig point missing on your map

Post by agentmancuso »

It certainly would be of interest; if you could log your find here then others will be able to make use of it, particularly if you have any pictures.
Post Reply