I remember that there used to be OS location sketches available for some bolts and blocks etc which were hyperlinnked from the trigpoint page.
With the addition of all the new bolts and blocks etc is there a way of finding the location sketches for these too?
Regards
Ted (Father)
Location sketches for bolts, blocks etc?
Re: Location sketches for bolts, blocks etc?
Hi t'other Ted,
> I remember that there used to be OS location sketches available for some bolts
> and blocks etc which were hyperlinnked from the trigpoint page.
I think you are referring to the OS data for passive stations. Links
to sketches and photos (where these exist) are still available. For example,
try http://trigpointing.uk/trig/119
then follow the link next to 'Passive Station' which in this case is:
http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/gps/leg ... n/C1NZ1711
The above OS web site doesn't extend to the 'pre passive' stations lately added to TP:UK
> With the addition of all the new bolts and blocks etc is there a way of
> finding the location sketches for these too?
Yes and no...
The OS have donated many of their historical papers to the National Archive (TNA).
This includes the OSGB36 records which covers non-passive blocks, etc.
An index of documents (but not necessarily the documents themeselves) can be found
on TNA's website, http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
A sample search to enter on this web page would be:
OS69 "Nine Standards"
This confirms that they have a record for this trig station but that it hasn't been
digitised. As far as I can tell, its the same for every other trig station in the TNA archive.
Two options: Follow links on the TNA's web site for digitising paper documents from their
archive. I got a quotation for this once but never followed it up; it was far more than
I could afford. But theres a cheaper alternative. There are researchers who, for a more
modest fee, will visit the TNA's archive at Key and photograph (not scan) specific documents.
I used Arcre http://www.arcre.com/copyservice a while ago and would recommend them.
I got full details of four trig stations (something like 100 pages) which at the time cost
around £25. As an experiment, Teasel very kindly put these onto the TP:UK wiki;
you can find an example at: http://trigpointing.uk/wiki/Archive:OS6 ... stone_Rigg
which will give you an idea of the information available - note that the contents page for
this wiki entry was written by me, not the OS, so very likely shows my misunderstandings
Hope that helps
Regards
Ted
> I remember that there used to be OS location sketches available for some bolts
> and blocks etc which were hyperlinnked from the trigpoint page.
I think you are referring to the OS data for passive stations. Links
to sketches and photos (where these exist) are still available. For example,
try http://trigpointing.uk/trig/119
then follow the link next to 'Passive Station' which in this case is:
http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/gps/leg ... n/C1NZ1711
The above OS web site doesn't extend to the 'pre passive' stations lately added to TP:UK
> With the addition of all the new bolts and blocks etc is there a way of
> finding the location sketches for these too?
Yes and no...
The OS have donated many of their historical papers to the National Archive (TNA).
This includes the OSGB36 records which covers non-passive blocks, etc.
An index of documents (but not necessarily the documents themeselves) can be found
on TNA's website, http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
A sample search to enter on this web page would be:
OS69 "Nine Standards"
This confirms that they have a record for this trig station but that it hasn't been
digitised. As far as I can tell, its the same for every other trig station in the TNA archive.
Two options: Follow links on the TNA's web site for digitising paper documents from their
archive. I got a quotation for this once but never followed it up; it was far more than
I could afford. But theres a cheaper alternative. There are researchers who, for a more
modest fee, will visit the TNA's archive at Key and photograph (not scan) specific documents.
I used Arcre http://www.arcre.com/copyservice a while ago and would recommend them.
I got full details of four trig stations (something like 100 pages) which at the time cost
around £25. As an experiment, Teasel very kindly put these onto the TP:UK wiki;
you can find an example at: http://trigpointing.uk/wiki/Archive:OS6 ... stone_Rigg
which will give you an idea of the information available - note that the contents page for
this wiki entry was written by me, not the OS, so very likely shows my misunderstandings
Hope that helps
Regards
Ted
-
Father Ted
- Posts: 4
- Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:02 pm
Re: Location sketches for bolts, blocks etc?
Thanks Ted.
That's a very nice response to my question. Fascinating. It's good to have the information preserved here in the forum so next time I forget the answer I can find it again.
Regards
Ted
That's a very nice response to my question. Fascinating. It's good to have the information preserved here in the forum so next time I forget the answer I can find it again.
Regards
Ted
-
peregrinus
- Posts: 86
- Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:33 pm
Re: Location sketches for bolts, blocks etc?
That's really interesting, Tedted wrote: Two options: Follow links on the TNA's web site for digitising paper documents from their
archive. I got a quotation for this once but never followed it up; it was far more than
I could afford. But theres a cheaper alternative. There are researchers who, for a more
modest fee, will visit the TNA's archive at Key and photograph (not scan) specific documents.
I used Arcre http://www.arcre.com/copyservice a while ago and would recommend them.
I got full details of four trig stations (something like 100 pages) which at the time cost
around £25. As an experiment, Teasel very kindly put these onto the TP:UK wiki;
you can find an example at: http://trigpointing.uk/wiki/Archive:OS6 ... stone_Rigg
which will give you an idea of the information available
Do you think these folk could be trained to just track down location sketches where present? I reckon an hour's work should produce a good batch of these?
Re: Location sketches for bolts, blocks etc?
Hi Rob,
I think the document copying service for others is a sideline. The last time I checked his web site,
there was a minimum charge per document such that selecting individual pages wouldn't really save very much.
If others were to use this service, or similar (or maybe visit Kew themselves) then what would be useful
would be for us to keep a list of who has which documents, and so avoid duplicating effort.
The ones I've obtained are:
OS 69/8988 Ordnance Survey Triangulation Station Lawnswood Gardens
OS 69/8681 Ordnance Survey Triangulation Station Warren Top
OS 69/10508 Ordnance Survey Triangulation Station Black Cob
OS 69/4873 Ordnance Survey Triangulation Station Millstone Rigg
OS 69/8979 Ordnance Survey Triangulation Station Bramley Grange
OS 69/8513 Triangulation (Trig) Station number SE/22/T273. Trig name: Rishworth Street Car Park
OS 69/8525 Triangulation (Trig) Station number SE/22/T285. Trig name: Ashbrow Road
OS 69/8848 Triangulation (Trig) Station number SE/44/T71 Trig name: Allerton
OS 69/8867 Triangulation (Trig) Station number SE/44/T90 or 44/44/T90 Trig name: Queens Park
OS 69/8968 Triangulation (Trig) Station number SE/44/T194. Trig name: Warmfield
OS 69/8892 Triangulation (Trig) Station number SE/44/T115 or 44/44/T115. Trig name: Black Hey
OS 69/8894 Triangulation (Trig) Station number SE/44/T117 or 44/44/T117. Trig name: Church Lane
OS 69/9172 Triangulation (Trig) Station number SE/91/T40. Trig name: Coleby
OS 69/9361 Triangulation (Trig) Station number SE/97/T120 or 44/97/T120. Trig name: East Moor
OS 69/11377 Triangulation (Trig) Station number SK/39/T209 or 43/39/T209. Trig name: Linthwaite
(re-reading that list, I can't imagine what my selection criteria might have been
Happy to pass on any of these if of interest although I'm just a bit wary of uploading
the whole lot to a web site as some may still be in copyright.
REgards
Ted
AFAIK, Arcre is just a one-man operation, mainly searching the archive for articles on military history.Do you think these folk could be trained to just track down location sketches where present? I reckon an hour's work should produce a good batch of these?
I think the document copying service for others is a sideline. The last time I checked his web site,
there was a minimum charge per document such that selecting individual pages wouldn't really save very much.
If others were to use this service, or similar (or maybe visit Kew themselves) then what would be useful
would be for us to keep a list of who has which documents, and so avoid duplicating effort.
The ones I've obtained are:
OS 69/8988 Ordnance Survey Triangulation Station Lawnswood Gardens
OS 69/8681 Ordnance Survey Triangulation Station Warren Top
OS 69/10508 Ordnance Survey Triangulation Station Black Cob
OS 69/4873 Ordnance Survey Triangulation Station Millstone Rigg
OS 69/8979 Ordnance Survey Triangulation Station Bramley Grange
OS 69/8513 Triangulation (Trig) Station number SE/22/T273. Trig name: Rishworth Street Car Park
OS 69/8525 Triangulation (Trig) Station number SE/22/T285. Trig name: Ashbrow Road
OS 69/8848 Triangulation (Trig) Station number SE/44/T71 Trig name: Allerton
OS 69/8867 Triangulation (Trig) Station number SE/44/T90 or 44/44/T90 Trig name: Queens Park
OS 69/8968 Triangulation (Trig) Station number SE/44/T194. Trig name: Warmfield
OS 69/8892 Triangulation (Trig) Station number SE/44/T115 or 44/44/T115. Trig name: Black Hey
OS 69/8894 Triangulation (Trig) Station number SE/44/T117 or 44/44/T117. Trig name: Church Lane
OS 69/9172 Triangulation (Trig) Station number SE/91/T40. Trig name: Coleby
OS 69/9361 Triangulation (Trig) Station number SE/97/T120 or 44/97/T120. Trig name: East Moor
OS 69/11377 Triangulation (Trig) Station number SK/39/T209 or 43/39/T209. Trig name: Linthwaite
(re-reading that list, I can't imagine what my selection criteria might have been
Happy to pass on any of these if of interest although I'm just a bit wary of uploading
the whole lot to a web site as some may still be in copyright.
REgards
Ted
Re: Location sketches for bolts, blocks etc?
I'm sure it would be ok to upload the location sketches?
It would also be nice to be able to tag (Subject) an image as a location sketch. Then be able to search by that too!
I have requested one from the TNA for a buried block near me "T127 Burchetts Green".
It would also be nice to be able to tag (Subject) an image as a location sketch. Then be able to search by that too!
I have requested one from the TNA for a buried block near me "T127 Burchetts Green".
-
peregrinus
- Posts: 86
- Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:33 pm
Re: Location sketches for bolts, blocks etc?
I occasionally upload the sketches for Passives - when they've not been found and when there's still a sketch online, i.e. not very often.berries wrote:I'm sure it would be ok to upload the location sketches?
Congratulations for finding Porthcurno BTW. A bit more detail on how you did it (sampling, calcs), would be interesting. I was pleased to find it now has a neat piece of paving slab inset on top of it making it easy to find. Dusty's photo http://trigpointinguk-photos.s3.amazona ... 163542.jpg
Re: Location sketches for bolts, blocks etc?
Thank youperegrinus wrote: Congratulations for finding Porthcurno BTW. A bit more detail on how you did it (sampling, calcs), would be interesting. I was pleased to find it now has a neat piece of paving slab inset on top of it making it easy to find. Dusty's photo http://trigpointinguk-photos.s3.amazona ... 163542.jpg
-
peregrinus
- Posts: 86
- Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:33 pm
Re: Location sketches for bolts, blocks etc?
Fascinated to see your recent Buried Block find - http://trigpointing.uk/trig/23701 - there are a few of these up north but you are the first to find one in the south. By an odd coincidence, Dusty found one in South Wales 2 weeks earlier. See Concrete Rings thread.
Might your Hyde Farm find be another? Did you excavate further? http://trigpointing.uk/trig/23705 The Mrs Berry pic shows a serious-looking survey instrument - interested to hear more...
Might your Hyde Farm find be another? Did you excavate further? http://trigpointing.uk/trig/23705 The Mrs Berry pic shows a serious-looking survey instrument - interested to hear more...
Re: Location sketches for bolts, blocks etc?
I've obtained a copy of the the OS station records, including sketches, for the following:
TP17481 SE38/T56 Long Hill SE 05939 66532 National Archive reference OS 69/8644
TP8475 SE44/T202 Easterly Road SE 32564 35834 National Archive reference OS 69/8976
TP17626 SE73/T71 South Woodfield Farm SE 64136 04083 National Archive reference OS 69/9104
TP13014 SK39/T253 Ravenfield Park SK 48153 95290 National Archive reference OS 69/11420
TP18874 SK58/T45 Carterhall Farm SK 38984 81628 National Archive reference OS 69/8976
Let me know if you like details for any of these
Regards
Ted
TP17481 SE38/T56 Long Hill SE 05939 66532 National Archive reference OS 69/8644
TP8475 SE44/T202 Easterly Road SE 32564 35834 National Archive reference OS 69/8976
TP17626 SE73/T71 South Woodfield Farm SE 64136 04083 National Archive reference OS 69/9104
TP13014 SK39/T253 Ravenfield Park SK 48153 95290 National Archive reference OS 69/11420
TP18874 SK58/T45 Carterhall Farm SK 38984 81628 National Archive reference OS 69/8976
Let me know if you like details for any of these
Regards
Ted