This subject may have already been covered but still.........
A while back someone (I think that it may have been either "trigging on an island" or the "THE CYCLIST") said that two pillars they had visited were very close together. So do we know which two "still in existent pillars" are the closest to each other. I used to work near Chingford in NE London and would put King George V Resr and Pole Hill near to the top of the list. They are 1.3 km apart (as the crow fly's) What does anyone else think??
The Pillars closest together?
Re: The Pillars closest together?
The following pillar close pairs were mentioned in a document that was available from the (now sadly defunct) Yahoo Trigonomy group:
Transit Meridian (11492) to Solar (11666), 541.8681 metres
Cutties Hillock (11091) to Cutties Hillock East (S1810), 562.5158 metres
Solar (11666) to Herstmonceux (S7288), 644.0753 metres
Wards Stone (S4996) to Mallowdale Pike (2981), 690.2536 metres
Herstmonceux (S7288) to Transit Meridian (11492), 868.0138 metres
Busbyside (S3655) to Meikle Dripps (S3659), 965.2212 metres
Arthurs Seat (S3012) to Dunsapie Tank (S3016), 968.3563 metres
All are still extant.
Cheers,
Paul
Transit Meridian (11492) to Solar (11666), 541.8681 metres
Cutties Hillock (11091) to Cutties Hillock East (S1810), 562.5158 metres
Solar (11666) to Herstmonceux (S7288), 644.0753 metres
Wards Stone (S4996) to Mallowdale Pike (2981), 690.2536 metres
Herstmonceux (S7288) to Transit Meridian (11492), 868.0138 metres
Busbyside (S3655) to Meikle Dripps (S3659), 965.2212 metres
Arthurs Seat (S3012) to Dunsapie Tank (S3016), 968.3563 metres
All are still extant.
Cheers,
Paul
-
clochandighter
- Posts: 55
- Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:02 pm
Re: The Pillars closest together?
Trigonomy Group is not defunct. The mail group is still there.
Yahoo deleted the files and photos. I have most of the data which was stored.
The file which hold the 'close pair' info was Exchanges.xls. The back worksheet within.
That can be downloaded from here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dkk8db3f35uzf ... s.xls?dl=0
All of the other essential trig related files can be obtained from here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/aoaesd8ui0wr6 ... M.pdf?dl=0
These are still being maintained by me.
Regards,
Graeme.
Yahoo deleted the files and photos. I have most of the data which was stored.
The file which hold the 'close pair' info was Exchanges.xls. The back worksheet within.
That can be downloaded from here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dkk8db3f35uzf ... s.xls?dl=0
All of the other essential trig related files can be obtained from here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/aoaesd8ui0wr6 ... M.pdf?dl=0
These are still being maintained by me.
Regards,
Graeme.
-
THE CYCLIST
- Posts: 9
- Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:13 pm
Re: The Pillars closest together?
I plead guilty to the original comment, referring to the proximity of TP0190 and TP1562 near Leek, Staffordshire. Using search on this website indicates they are at approx. 1.3km.
Interesting to read the recent reply.
I have visited 3 of the 4 at Herstmonceaux.
Coventry Airfield has TP8133 and TP7844 at 1km.
However, how about Project Emily pillars? Still present are Driffield TP7540,TP7473 at 0.5km, Harrington TP7692,TP7657 at 0.4km and Stamford TP7559, TP7558 at 0.4km.
Interesting to read the recent reply.
I have visited 3 of the 4 at Herstmonceaux.
Coventry Airfield has TP8133 and TP7844 at 1km.
However, how about Project Emily pillars? Still present are Driffield TP7540,TP7473 at 0.5km, Harrington TP7692,TP7657 at 0.4km and Stamford TP7559, TP7558 at 0.4km.
-
THE CYCLIST
- Posts: 9
- Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:13 pm
Re: The Pillars closest together?
To the North East of Nottingham are three close pillars TP4195 with TP0887 at 0.4km and TP2811 at 0.5km. (0.7km between later pair)
Re: The Pillars closest together?
Sorry Graeme, my bad. Especially as I'm still a member of the group.clochandighter wrote:Trigonomy Group is not defunct. The mail group is still there.
I used Memory Map to measure the distance between those pillars and got different results:THE CYCLIST wrote:To the North East of Nottingham are three close pillars TP4195 with TP0887 at 0.4km and TP2811 at 0.5km. (0.7km between later pair)
Killisick Lane (S4613) to Arnold Lodge (S4869), ~682 metres
Killisick Lane (S4613) to Dorket Head (S4664), ~810 metres
Arnold Lodge (S4869) to Dorket Head (S4664), ~1190 metres
Even though all 3 pillars are still extant Dorket Head is not shown on current Explorer & Landranger maps and Arnold Lodge is not shown on current Landranger maps.
Cheers,
Paul
Re: The Pillars closest together?
Well cheers everyone for your replies. I wasn't on this site when I walked the 1066 walk which goes past Herstmonceux. Having just looked at the map I see how close they all are. Cheers to THE CYCLIST for commenting on the log in the first place which got me thinking. I am going to have to go back and do these three.