Hi,
Yesterday (Sunday 27th Sep 2020) my wife and I did a cycle loop from Eyemouth, with a couple of trig pillar visits planned. At Lumsdaine I was aware people have previously been challenged, but we experienced real aggression and had the police called on us. We were assertive, polite and I videoed the encounter. It's just as well I did, because the police had been told a pack of lies about our behaviour and the video was what they needed to ensure we were not falsely accused of violent and threatening behaviour. A shocking experience. The GOML woman repeatedly invoked the dread COVID as well, despite the fact that they rushed up to us and followed us closely as we said "not interested, we are visiting the monument" thus creating the COVID risk themselves.
They have made up a story about "risk of falling into the water tank" and so they have "had to" surround the pillar with barbed wire. As a result, it is not possible to access the pillar without climbing over that barbed wire fence. Given the situation we were in, pursued and shouted at by the GOML couple, I felt it was a step too far to climb the fence yesterday. However what they are doing is counter to the Scottish Outdoor Access Code and surely surrounding the pillar with barbed wire is not allowed!?
All in all a horrible experience, my life would be much better without ever meeting these poisonous nasty lying people. However I will be following up with the Borders Council, the police, etc. Any advice gratefully received. The police told us they had informed the couple that they cannot prevent people visiting the pillar - however enforcing that is, as we know, another matter.
Cheers, Allan & Susan