Hi
I'm curious to know how many triangulation pillars are in Wales alone. I have searched the net numerous times to try and find an answer, but unfortunately no luck. Could someone please help me out with this?
Thank you
On a quick view (and it was a quick view) it does seems to only include the pillars that are still in situ (i.e. any 'destroyed' sites don't appear to be included) but it does include photo's of the pillars.
Use in conjunction with Lonewalker's Trig Point database at http://lonewalker.net/trig_db.php - choose Wales as your country and choose Pillar in the Trig Point Type option - appears to include all pillar sites including the destroyed ones and also has a web-link link to the pillars location on the Ordnance Survey 1:25000 scale Map.
I've no idea how accurate both websites are but Lonewalker's website seems very comprehensive.
I am presently updating the main Trigonomy Spreadsheet with a target upload date of 31/12/2016. There will be an updated set of figures for the above available then. At best there will be no change, at worst, a few pillars will have been lost over the last year. Watch that space.
I am glad I did a search in the forum for this as I was wondering the same. Is there a way to search for ALL pillars in Wales on the trig tools so i can do a cross reference. So far I have been simply scanning maps (reading other sites/books )as I don't get the searches right to list areas by county or even country. The download tool is really useful but hard to tell the rough location.