Mill Hill, Slaugham, West Sussex

General discussion about trigpoints, the TrigpointingUK website etc
Post Reply
[email protected]
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:24 pm

Mill Hill, Slaugham, West Sussex

Post by [email protected] »

I'm researching Sussex windmills and have come across the following reference...

"Mill Hill, Slaugham, situated on the east side of and overlooking the large sheet of water south of the village, is said to have taken its name from a windmill which once stood there long ago. At the foot of the hill was Slaugham Mill Pond which facilitated a watermill that according to the 1842 tithe was occupied by William Wells and that James Wells lived in the adjacent cottage".

Looking at the Ordnance Survey map I have found Mill Hill is indeed marked just to the east of the Mill Pond and there is a trig point marked at TQ 260 275 which I'd imagine was the likely spot where the windmill would have stood. Just wondered if anyone had visited this spot?
Post Reply