Location sketches for bolts, blocks etc?
-
peregrinus
- Posts: 86
- Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:33 pm
Re: Location sketches for bolts, blocks etc?
It would be good to have the sketches available. Could you add them as photos to the trig pages?
Re: Location sketches for bolts, blocks etc?
Hi Rob,
There isn't a 'non-visit log' option as such on TPUK so adding sketch details or other OS documentation
to the relevant trig page would add to the contributor's stats even if the site had not been visited.
A topic on this forum, one per station, might be better and would allow others to comment on the
usefulness of the sketch as a means of locating the trig. But, AFAIK, there isn't a means of adding
images, only links to them. The attachment feature restricts the file size to 256 Kb
A link to Flickr or the like would be one option but it would be nice to keep the images 'in house'
as it were?
Regards
Ted
Just thinking about how best we do this...It would be good to have the sketches available. Could you add them as photos to the trig pages?
There isn't a 'non-visit log' option as such on TPUK so adding sketch details or other OS documentation
to the relevant trig page would add to the contributor's stats even if the site had not been visited.
A topic on this forum, one per station, might be better and would allow others to comment on the
usefulness of the sketch as a means of locating the trig. But, AFAIK, there isn't a means of adding
images, only links to them. The attachment feature restricts the file size to 256 Kb
A link to Flickr or the like would be one option but it would be nice to keep the images 'in house'
as it were?
Regards
Ted
-
peregrinus
- Posts: 86
- Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:33 pm
Re: Location sketches for bolts, blocks etc?
Hi Ted
I agree adding to TPUK isn't ideal, not least because the trig doesn't then show as Unlogged on searches or the app, which can be an issue if you have not yet found trig.
Flickr also not ideal as they would all be in different places.
How about creating a folder on trigonomy where all these could be added? i.e. at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/trigonomy/files All registered users would be able to post to the same folder. If more than one page is being added, stations would need subfolders. Maybe we should standardise so each trig has a folder with standard naming convention i.e. [TPUK_no; name]
I would also favour saving sketches / photos which are currently on the OS passives site but where the trig hasn't been found - as these sketches tend to disappear over time. Something I rarely get round to doing...
I agree adding to TPUK isn't ideal, not least because the trig doesn't then show as Unlogged on searches or the app, which can be an issue if you have not yet found trig.
Flickr also not ideal as they would all be in different places.
How about creating a folder on trigonomy where all these could be added? i.e. at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/trigonomy/files All registered users would be able to post to the same folder. If more than one page is being added, stations would need subfolders. Maybe we should standardise so each trig has a folder with standard naming convention i.e. [TPUK_no; name]
I would also favour saving sketches / photos which are currently on the OS passives site but where the trig hasn't been found - as these sketches tend to disappear over time. Something I rarely get round to doing...
Re: Location sketches for bolts, blocks etc?
The problem, as always, is copyright. The OS wouldn't even give me a licence to publish the History of the Retriangulation book in fully-searchable form on the T:UK wiki, despite the fact that raster scans of the book are available as a free download from the OS website itself! Grump!
Lorraine Vincent-Piper did, at one point in 2003, give me permission to include any information on the Passive Station Database, including photos and sketches, in T:UK. So although that, admittedly rather adhoc, licence could still be revoked by the OS legal team, the current situation is that all PSD photos and sketches can be added to T:UK if we wish.
As for the TNA records, the copyright waters are probably even more muddy, as each pack will contain sheets from a range of different dates. For these, I'm wondering whether I could adopt the YouTube model, whereby I allow anyone to upload material, then provide copyright holders such as the OS with a method of submitting takedown notices for material on which they wish to assert their copyright?
Lorraine Vincent-Piper did, at one point in 2003, give me permission to include any information on the Passive Station Database, including photos and sketches, in T:UK. So although that, admittedly rather adhoc, licence could still be revoked by the OS legal team, the current situation is that all PSD photos and sketches can be added to T:UK if we wish.
As for the TNA records, the copyright waters are probably even more muddy, as each pack will contain sheets from a range of different dates. For these, I'm wondering whether I could adopt the YouTube model, whereby I allow anyone to upload material, then provide copyright holders such as the OS with a method of submitting takedown notices for material on which they wish to assert their copyright?
Re: Location sketches for bolts, blocks etc?
Another thought... maybe we could use the Trigpointing Wiki? There are already
some images of OS station records, including sketches, although I'm not clear
how easy it is to add more.
A couple of quick tests:
1. Link to wiki page http://trigpointing.uk/w/images/3/32/OS69_4873_0047.jpg
2. Inline image - this could be an overkill

- seems to be clipping on the RH edge; limit on size maybe?
Regards,
Ted
some images of OS station records, including sketches, although I'm not clear
how easy it is to add more.
A couple of quick tests:
1. Link to wiki page http://trigpointing.uk/w/images/3/32/OS69_4873_0047.jpg
2. Inline image - this could be an overkill

- seems to be clipping on the RH edge; limit on size maybe?
Regards,
Ted
-
Ian Guyver
- Posts: 1
- Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:52 pm
Re: Location sketches for bolts, blocks etc?
Hi there was a problem on the contact recaptcha thingy
Heres what I would like to say to someone:
HI Just explaining that the first trigpoint I logged just now North Downs SW708445 as 'inaccessible' is due to local landowner upset with me crossing an electric fence to get to the trig - I have apologised and promised to mention that it is inaccessible to the public and not to encourage anyone to visit! Hope thats ok! I am an artist just finished walking between Cornwalls 100 tps and really didnt intend to upset anyone.
Heres what I would like to say to someone:
HI Just explaining that the first trigpoint I logged just now North Downs SW708445 as 'inaccessible' is due to local landowner upset with me crossing an electric fence to get to the trig - I have apologised and promised to mention that it is inaccessible to the public and not to encourage anyone to visit! Hope thats ok! I am an artist just finished walking between Cornwalls 100 tps and really didnt intend to upset anyone.
- agentmancuso
- Posts: 338
- Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:59 pm
- Location: EK
- Contact:
Re: Location sketches for bolts, blocks etc?
Yeah, the contact page rarely gets a result tbh, so here or the FB forum is the best bet for a response of any sort.
Thanks for the update, it's always good to know where there are access issues, but generally we use the 'inaccessible' condition to indicate the existence of some real physical barrier to access, rather than just lingering pockets of superstition among the peasantry.
Hope the walk was a success otherwise, sounds interesting.
Thanks for the update, it's always good to know where there are access issues, but generally we use the 'inaccessible' condition to indicate the existence of some real physical barrier to access, rather than just lingering pockets of superstition among the peasantry.
Hope the walk was a success otherwise, sounds interesting.