Vanessa’s
Re: Vanessa’s
Can't help with list but I did make the effort to visit one on the island of Menorca some years ago, didn't know it was a Vanessa at the time myself and my good lady headed for it though. If my memory serves me well I believe it was on a headland a little way to the the north of the resort of Cala en Forcat and the coastal view was lovely. We climbed a rock strewn area of scrub and a modest hill pretty much along the coast north from the resort to reach it (no obvious path at that time) but wandered along a rough track a little east of the trig which took us back to mapped road whence we returned to the resort.
Memory fails me to recall how I found it was was there (along with a pillar and a 'mushroom dome' active station we also visited during the vacation) as it must have been 15 or so years ago.
I'm sure I've got photos of the Vanessa somewhere and if I can dig the out I'll post them.
Memory fails me to recall how I found it was was there (along with a pillar and a 'mushroom dome' active station we also visited during the vacation) as it must have been 15 or so years ago.
I'm sure I've got photos of the Vanessa somewhere and if I can dig the out I'll post them.
- Attachments
-
- Bajoli 'Vanessa'
- 2007.09.00 - Menorca - Bajoli Trig 6a.jpg (218.59 KiB) Viewed 5145 times
-
- Bajoli trig pillar
- 2007.09.00 - Menorca - Bajoli Trig 3a.jpg (191.72 KiB) Viewed 5145 times
-
- The scrub approach
- 2007.09.00 - Menorca - Bajoli Trig 1a.jpg (246.37 KiB) Viewed 5145 times
- agentmancuso
- Posts: 338
- Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:59 pm
- Location: EK
- Contact:
Re: Vanessa’s
I have 186 pillars flagged as Vanessas in my database, though I've probably used this label to cover all cylindrical pillars, which isn't quite accurate for reasons that escape me at the minute. They are all located north & west of the Highland line with one exception: TP25824 Hermitage. Of course this isn't a true OSGB36 triangulation station, but a later Passive Station. There may be others I've missed, but it won't be many.Moacky wrote:Most Vanessa style pillars are located in Scotland is seemingly accepted as fact; but is there a list of non Scottish Vanessa’s available?
- agentmancuso
- Posts: 338
- Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:59 pm
- Location: EK
- Contact:
Re: Vanessa’s
I've tidied up the list of Vanessas - 202 cylindrical pillars of which 198 are Vanessas properly speaking plus 4 irregular cylindars, 3 Chunnel stations plus 1 Passive Station. If anyone wants the list just let me know.
Re: Vanessa’s
I'm very interested in knowing which pillars are "Vanessas" (and other cylinder pillars) please.
I'm also curious to know if there is also a list of stone-built pillars???
Many thanks
Andy
I'm also curious to know if there is also a list of stone-built pillars???
Many thanks
Andy
Re: Vanessa’s
Some info about Vanessa pillars can be found at https://trigpointing.uk/wiki/Vanessa#Vanessa_Pillar