Hi, I had someone drive into my horse field today to go and look for Hiltons trig point. I am sure everyone reading this post, would not do such a thing, or decide as she was planning to walk through a field of crop. But I fully get many would want to bag it. But it is no longer viable! There is also no safe way to get to the trig point.
, even whem not in crop. I was hoping popping a post on hear. Would stop the disappointment of someone else coming a long way on foot to find. it. Sorry!
Hilton S3158 NO 30514 05434 Field
Re: Hilton S3158 NO 30514 05434 Field
For search purposes in the database
Waypoint: TP3941
Town: Ladybank
or Hilton in the Fife Region county
Waypoint: TP3941
Town: Ladybank
or Hilton in the Fife Region county
-
clochandighter
- Posts: 55
- Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:02 pm
Re: Hilton S3158 NO 30514 05434 Field
Hi,
I have visited pillar S3158 twice. My first visit was 1986, and I revisited again in 2004 for photographs and a GPS measurement. I can see from OS records that this pillar was one of a number of triangulation stations in that part of Fife that were recomputed in February 1987, so it was still being used quite late, in the grand scheme of things.
I believe this pillar has since been uprooted and moved elsewhere, lying dumped on its side. That should not have happened, it was part of a tertiary network within a secondary network (NT48) which spans both sides of the Forth estuary.
The OS maps (all scales) still show the pillar as its original position, so it follows that visitors using a map will still head for that location. Most people would be careful with the crops and follow the tramlines. You just happened to catch somebody this time. However, because this pillar has been moved, people will start looking around the area for it, and that is when crops are more likely to be trampled on. Many more people will have visited this site than are using this website, and more people will visit in the future. Whether the visitor you caught uses this site is unknown, nobody has logged it since July 2022. The co-ordinates of this location are on records on many websites, these are 'set in stone'.
One practical suggestion would be to have the pillar recovered from where it is dumped, have it resurrected upright at a new location nearby where it is easily seen but not in conflict with any crops, and erect signage pointing towards the pillar if need be.
I have visited pillar S3158 twice. My first visit was 1986, and I revisited again in 2004 for photographs and a GPS measurement. I can see from OS records that this pillar was one of a number of triangulation stations in that part of Fife that were recomputed in February 1987, so it was still being used quite late, in the grand scheme of things.
I believe this pillar has since been uprooted and moved elsewhere, lying dumped on its side. That should not have happened, it was part of a tertiary network within a secondary network (NT48) which spans both sides of the Forth estuary.
The OS maps (all scales) still show the pillar as its original position, so it follows that visitors using a map will still head for that location. Most people would be careful with the crops and follow the tramlines. You just happened to catch somebody this time. However, because this pillar has been moved, people will start looking around the area for it, and that is when crops are more likely to be trampled on. Many more people will have visited this site than are using this website, and more people will visit in the future. Whether the visitor you caught uses this site is unknown, nobody has logged it since July 2022. The co-ordinates of this location are on records on many websites, these are 'set in stone'.
One practical suggestion would be to have the pillar recovered from where it is dumped, have it resurrected upright at a new location nearby where it is easily seen but not in conflict with any crops, and erect signage pointing towards the pillar if need be.