How many in the UK
-
fionaoutdoors
- Posts: 1
- Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:44 am
How many in the UK
For the purposes of trig bagging how many are there to tick off in the UK and in Scotland only? Thanks.
-
Aqueously90
- Posts: 44
- Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:39 pm
- Location: Black Isle / Glasgow
Re: How many in the UK
It's not perfect, but by going by the grid-ref prefixes, there are...
2691 in Scotland and IoM (H and N prefixes)
4013 in England and Wales (S and T prefixes)
I'm sure Graeme or Rob has an exact number.
2691 in Scotland and IoM (H and N prefixes)
4013 in England and Wales (S and T prefixes)
I'm sure Graeme or Rob has an exact number.
-
peregrinus
- Posts: 86
- Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:33 pm
Re: How many in the UK
Exact would be tricky as they keep disappearing and occasionally reappearing.Aqueously90 wrote:It's not perfect, but by going by the grid-ref prefixes, there are...
2691 in Scotland and IoM (H and N prefixes)
4013 in England and Wales (S and T prefixes)
I'm sure Graeme or Rob has an exact number.
Around 6150 extant pillars currently, I would estimate.
-
peregrinus
- Posts: 86
- Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:33 pm
Re: How many in the UK
Just noticed this thread http://trigpointing.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=41peregrinus wrote: Exact would be tricky as they keep disappearing and occasionally reappearing.
Around 6150 extant pillars currently, I would estimate.
Summarising:
SURVIVORS (at original site) 5974
MOVED / DUMPED (with FB) 67
DESTROYED (Gone or remains) 549
Thus the baggable total "As at 31/12/2014" would be 5974 + 67 (6041) plus however many empty bases / bits of concrete one cares to count (TPUK recognises 50 Pillars with condition Remains, currently). Personally I have counted any clearly-recognisable remains. Plus any others which were intact when visited but no longer present. This latter category largely a function of one's age and the quality of one's record-keeping.