New Trig Point at South Square Gallery

General discussion about trigpoints, the TrigpointingUK website etc
Post Reply
melissaburn
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:58 pm

New Trig Point at South Square Gallery

Post by melissaburn »

Hi everyone!

My Name is Melissa. I am an artist (and keen walker) based in Leeds. I am interested in many things, including how people experience the surrounding landscape.

I was recently asked to take part in an exhibition called "High Line" at South Square Gallery near Bradford to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the Pennine Way. For the exhibition I decided to create a new Trig Point within the gallery made from wood, plaster and brass. I would like to invite you to visit the Trig Point if you are interested, as a new walking destination.

I would also be happy to hear any feedback or answer any questions you might have.

Triangulation Station:
S9914
SE 09900 32655

It is located at South Square, Thornton, Bradford, BD13 3LD

The gallery website is http://www.southsquarecentre.co.uk/
My website is http://www.melissaburn.co.uk

Thank you!
Attachments
MBurn trig pointsmall.jpg
MBurn trig pointsmall.jpg (131.87 KiB) Viewed 10300 times
ted
Posts: 236
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:39 am

Re: New Trig Point at South Square Gallery

Post by ted »

Hello Melissa,

Thanks for posting this; I hope to visit your exhibition.

But I think you should have painted your trig pillar white! :D

Any significance in the choice of S9914 for the Flush Bracket?
It does exist; see http://www.bench-marks.org.uk/bm13471

Regards
Ted
melissaburn
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:58 pm

Re: New Trig Point at South Square Gallery

Post by melissaburn »

Hi Ted,

Thanks, its always nice to hear feedback. I thought about painting it, but wanted to make it a little different rather than just replicating the 'real' trigs.

Haha, I didn't know S9914 existed! When deciding on the flush bracket, I used info from the ordinance survey page here: http://trigpointing.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=59 which seemed to list all trig points, the last in the sequence there was S9913...

Best
Melissa
peregrinus
Posts: 86
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:33 pm

Re: New Trig Point at South Square Gallery

Post by peregrinus »

I've mentioned this on the facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/2484316888/

Here's another wooden trig pillar, built by the OS for exhibition use http://trigpointing.uk/trig/7577 and sited in Edinburgh, in National Library of Scotland
vegibagger
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:09 pm

Re: New Trig Point at South Square Gallery

Post by vegibagger »

Wonder how long the exhibition is on for?? Very keen to see it.
Wonder about its dimensions as it doesn't look quite the same as a trig pillar. Two feet square base, one foot two inch top and four feet high.
What an exciting project to be involved in.
Best wishes Charles Everett
Post Reply