OpenStreetMaps

General discussion about trigpoints, the TrigpointingUK website etc
Post Reply
mellowcelloweddings
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2025 9:32 pm

OpenStreetMaps

Post by mellowcelloweddings »

Hi, I can not see this mentioned in previous logs, but as I'm sure you are aware, OpenStreetMaps have regrettably begun blocking panels to prevent abusive access. Is it possible to amend the TrigPointingUK program to comply with their new access requirements? I am a relatively new user/addict of TrigPointing and I now find myself planning all my walk routes around trig points! Regards, Paul
User avatar
Teasel
Posts: 102
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 10:11 am
Location: Needingworth
Contact:

Re: OpenStreetMaps

Post by Teasel »

Thanks for letting me know. I haven't made any recent changes to the map, and it's still working correctly for me, so I'd like to narrow down what's you're seeing.

Could you let me know:

Is this on the TrigpointingUK website or the Android app?
What exactly do you see instead of the map? A screenshot would be ideal.
Which browser (or app version) are you using?
If you see tiles saying "Access blocked", what's the number in the top right corner?
mellowcelloweddings
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2025 9:32 pm

Re: OpenStreetMaps

Post by mellowcelloweddings »

Hi,
Thanks for your quick reply - apologies for my slow one! I've attached a screen shot for your info. I've had a similar problem with OpenStreetMaps on other programs and having investigated further, it appears to be confined to Firefox on a laptop. Loading affected apps in MS Edge or Chrome are fine, or even opening a private window in Firefox. I've tried clearing the history on Firefox but it didn't solve the issue. Doing a google search on OpenStreet and error 403r brings up various comments.
I can view what I need in TrigPointing using the OS Digital option so no panic.

One of those strange glitchy things.

I'm enjoying TrigPointing so thanks for your work on it.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (502.94 KiB) Viewed 1722 times
User avatar
Teasel
Posts: 102
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 10:11 am
Location: Needingworth
Contact:

Re: OpenStreetMaps

Post by Teasel »

The 403r tiles mean that your browser isn't telling OSM that the request came from TUK.

I've made a change to the website to make the referrer headers more explicit, so please give it another go and see if that's fixed the problem you're seeing. If it's still there, then I'm pretty sure it's a privacy setting on your browser (telling website B that you're viewing website A is an invasion of privacy... but it's a requirement for some sites, including OSM).

The fact that it's working for you in a private window suggests that you may have installed an extension that's blocking referrer headers. Examples of such extensions are [Referer Modifier, Referer Control, Toggle Referrer, NoRefer 2, Auto Referer], though Ad-Blockers such as [uBlock Origin, AdGuard AdBlocker, Ghostery, Privacy Badger] can also be configured to behave like this. Try going to the Help->Troubleshoot Mode menu item in Firefox to see what the map looks like with no extensions enabled.

If you don't have any such extensions installed, then it's possible that Firefox itself has somehow been configured to remove these headers. Type about:config in your browser URL bar, search for network.http.sendRefererHeader, and ensure that it is set to 2. If I set this to 0 on my Firefox browser, then I get the same 403r tiles that you're seeing.
Post Reply