Thanks for all the photos, especially the ones mid-production! Not having a printer myself, I've never seen this side of the process.
I'm so glad to see that everyone's managing to print these successfully, and aren't having to resort to the files with the simplified thread! I seemed to get a smoother finish from PETG than from PLA, but even using a
commercial service, there's significant inconsistency both within and between batches.
Yes, the ones I got printed professionally are also quite stiff at first. I've not needed to sand anything down (beyond removing any roughness around overhangs), but I've definitely needed steel bars for the first few attempts, until any roughness wears down and they start running smoothly. The github repo contains STLs for a tool I designed to help do exactly this!

- etsy1c.png (224.48 KiB) Viewed 815 times
The STLs are actually generated by
python scripts, which I vibe coded with Claude. We started off with the blender model that was used to create the flythrough video on the
wiki homepage, then gradually added more and more detail with the help of calipers and thread gauges, using the plug from
North Ockendon. Running those python scripts generates a STEP file, which is as close to the original as possible, plus multiple STL files for the various thread/logo variations. Visualisation of the results was done with FreeCAD.
For those without 3D printers, I have
created an Etsy Shop, where I'm selling the prints I've had made. Believe it or not, my prices are close to cost, but are sadly more reflective of the 8hr print time than the £2.50 material cost. I'm more than happy if someone in the community is able to undercut me!