I used the GPX (beta test) file format type to download the trigs in the area I was visiting onto my Garmin etrex20 GPS via GSAK.
Unfortunately, when I got to the area and checked my GPS - the trigpoint type wasn't included, so I had no way of knowing what type of thing I was looking for. Knowing the condition would be very useful too.
Is there any way of displaying the trigpoint type and condition on my GPS?
Thanks,
Alancache
Trigpoint Type on GPS
- agentmancuso
- Posts: 338
- Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:59 pm
- Location: EK
- Contact:
Re: Trigpoint Type on GPS
Alan,
GSAK doesn't recognise different types of trig; the only option is the standard US Benchmark symbol. I asked Clyde about this years ago, hoping there would be some way to fiddle around with the 'type' option but it just can't be done apparently. What you can do is manually override the 'container' field with anything you like. But even then, messing around with .gpx files is pretty tricky. What I do is put the whole T:UK database into GSAK then export a POI file. You could choose different icons for different types that way, if so inclined.
GSAK doesn't recognise different types of trig; the only option is the standard US Benchmark symbol. I asked Clyde about this years ago, hoping there would be some way to fiddle around with the 'type' option but it just can't be done apparently. What you can do is manually override the 'container' field with anything you like. But even then, messing around with .gpx files is pretty tricky. What I do is put the whole T:UK database into GSAK then export a POI file. You could choose different icons for different types that way, if so inclined.
Re: Trigpoint Type on GPS
Thanks Agentmancuso,
I thought there might be a way of including the trigpoint type and condition in the description field, as this seems to be blank at the moment.
Next time I go out I might try updating the description field manually on GSAK just for the nearest ones.
I thought there might be a way of including the trigpoint type and condition in the description field, as this seems to be blank at the moment.
Next time I go out I might try updating the description field manually on GSAK just for the nearest ones.
- agentmancuso
- Posts: 338
- Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:59 pm
- Location: EK
- Contact:
Re: Trigpoint Type on GPS
If you use POI files, you can include all kinds of extra stuff such as physical type, FB number, grid ref, access problems etc.