Update on the block quest!
Hi folks,
I have been out today in my local wilds and have rediscovered (if thats the correct term) another two "unknown" blocks.
In terms of logging them. What sort of info is ideally required and at what point will they be amended from unknown to good condition?
Thanks for the advice.
Buried blocks
Re: Buried blocks
Hi,
Ty'N-Y-Fron http://trigpointing.uk/trig/17789 AFAIK no-one has done that before.
the block in relation to other local detail and, where possible, measurements to nearby reference
points. I think you've pretty much done that already. As regards the condition, if you set this in
your own report to 'good' then the change should be noticed by one of the moderators (not me!)
and the master condition amended.
Regards
Ted (ex-Salopian emigrated to Yorkshire
)
Congratulations on finding these! I'm intrigued by your use of a metal detector app in locatingI have been out today in my local wilds and have rediscovered (if thats the correct term) another two "unknown" blocks.
Ty'N-Y-Fron http://trigpointing.uk/trig/17789 AFAIK no-one has done that before.
Ideally sufficient info to enable future visitors to locate the block; e.g. site photo(S) showingIn terms of logging them. What sort of info is ideally required and at what point will they be amended from unknown to good condition?
the block in relation to other local detail and, where possible, measurements to nearby reference
points. I think you've pretty much done that already. As regards the condition, if you set this in
your own report to 'good' then the change should be noticed by one of the moderators (not me!)
and the master condition amended.
Regards
Ted (ex-Salopian emigrated to Yorkshire
-
peregrinus
- Posts: 86
- Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:33 pm
Re: Buried blocks
I've updated Ty'N-Y-Fron to Good on TPUK. NB you didn't include a condition in your log although it has its brass rod marker so I'd call it Good.ted wrote:Congratulations on finding these! I'm intrigued by your use of a metal detector app in locatingI have been out today in my local wilds and have rediscovered (if thats the correct term) another two "unknown" blocks.
Ty'N-Y-Fron http://trigpointing.uk/trig/17789 AFAIK no-one has done that before.
What app did you use? I have an android phone too and would be interested in trying it.
What's the other Block you've found? There are a few flagged for admin which the team will pick up in due course; I don't have time to go thru them just now.
Re: Buried blocks
Hi folks,
The metal detector app is made by Kurt Radwanski. I was highly sceptical but thought what do I have to lose, It is a free app so worth a try. The block above Pen y Gwely was very well hidden. But anyone who visits in the next couple of months will plainly see that I located it on the second excavation. I think I'd still be looking had it not been for the app.
As an aside the Trigpointing app has led me to within 2 metres of all three blocks that I've found. The map disappears beyond a certain zoom but I just keep moving until my little bloke is stood right on top of the max zoom icon. Once I'm there I mark the spot, walk 20m or so away and repeat the process. As said its worked on 3/3. The other two I have rediscovered are Halton Farm (tp17782) and Coed y Bwlch (tp17780)
The metal detector app is made by Kurt Radwanski. I was highly sceptical but thought what do I have to lose, It is a free app so worth a try. The block above Pen y Gwely was very well hidden. But anyone who visits in the next couple of months will plainly see that I located it on the second excavation. I think I'd still be looking had it not been for the app.
As an aside the Trigpointing app has led me to within 2 metres of all three blocks that I've found. The map disappears beyond a certain zoom but I just keep moving until my little bloke is stood right on top of the max zoom icon. Once I'm there I mark the spot, walk 20m or so away and repeat the process. As said its worked on 3/3. The other two I have rediscovered are Halton Farm (tp17782) and Coed y Bwlch (tp17780)
-
peregrinus
- Posts: 86
- Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:33 pm
Re: Buried blocks
Those blocks conditions have now been updated.
I've installed that metal detector app - will give it a try - thanks
I've installed that metal detector app - will give it a try - thanks
Re: Buried blocks
Update on Yearlet block...
It is not under the centre of the cairn. I have been up there today and hollowed it out to below ground level. The block may still be there but at least I've now done the hard bit. Will get up there to finish the job off before the month is out. Saw a few folk about but just advised them I was investigating a missing Ordnance Survey block. I left it up to them to decide whether I was on official business or not.
It is not under the centre of the cairn. I have been up there today and hollowed it out to below ground level. The block may still be there but at least I've now done the hard bit. Will get up there to finish the job off before the month is out. Saw a few folk about but just advised them I was investigating a missing Ordnance Survey block. I left it up to them to decide whether I was on official business or not.
-
peregrinus
- Posts: 86
- Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:33 pm
Re: Buried blocks
Wow - that's dedication! Hope you find it after all that effort. It could be anywhere under the cairn, I guess. Would need rebuilding afterwards (at or near original location) as it's quite a local feature.
Re: Buried blocks
Would a metal detector be of any benefit? (not that I have one.) I believe that they can detect brass, but I don't know to what depth or object size.
Re: Buried blocks
I have located 3 blocks with a metal detector app on my android. The one near penygwelly was about 6" under stones soil and turf.
-
peregrinus
- Posts: 86
- Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:33 pm
Re: Buried blocks
I have installed the app as recommended in earlier post, but keep forgetting to try it. Recent passives all found pretty easily with sketch / previous loggers comments. Finding previously unlogged blocks is a different game - good results stignest!