Would you mind helping me? I'm an assistant producer working on a channel 4 series about Garden Design (I know...what does garden design have to do with with trig points!? ). We want to visit a trig point in Lancashire that isn't too far away from the village of Loveclough. The trig point needs to be accessible to via car as we will have a lot of heavy equipment to carry and not much time. I am totally new to trig points and have no idea what so ever if it's even possible to get close to a trig point with a car?!
I would really appreciate your help, feel free to reply to me on here or you can call my office number on 0207 290 0206
I'm an assistant producer working on a channel 4 series about Garden Design
(I know...what does garden design have to do with with trig points!? )
What indeed! Please tell us
We want to visit a trig point in Lancashire that isn't too far away from the village of Loveclough.
The trig point needs to be accessible to via car
Trig pillars tend to be placed for good visibility of the surrounding area, e.g. hilltops not too
well suited for access by car. But one not too far away is this one: http://trigpointing.uk/trig/4948
which is on the south side of the B6236 to the north west of Haslingden. Map reference: SD 76390 24968 http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x ... t+Pleasant
- you should be able to drive right up to this one; its on a public right of way although maybe best to let
the occupants of the nearby house know what you are up to.
It is some distance away (10k as the crow flies) from Loveclough but it has the advantage of nearby parking areas and it is on access land.
Quite a bit further afield Beacon Fell Country Park has a pillar slap bang in the middle of the estate and from the photo's on the website (http://trigpointing.uk/trig/1096) it looks like it has access tracks right up to the pillar, I guess you'd have to negotiate with the Park for vehicle access to the pillar. The country park is off the M6 between Junctions 32 & 33 - about 5 miles ESE of Garstang.
To my knowledge most trig pillars tend to be on private land but access to most (but far from all) are usually via Right of Way footpaths, bridleways etc or they are on Access Land where the public have a right to roam, so generally the public have reasonable access to them, however dragging a film crew and equipment up to one may well be a different thing!
The reason I suggested Beacon Fell Country Park was because it's a good presumption that by contacting the country park you could negotiate access to the pillar without having to trudge through the land registry to find the owner of the land and also it seems to have vehicular access to the site.
This isn't responding to the query but it might be of interest that
a number of trig pillars are located in gardens. Typically the trig
pillar was there first and a house/garden added later.
None in Lancashire that I can think of offhand, but here's a nice
example in Long Eaton, Nottinghamshire: http://trigpointing.uk/trig/3764