I know it's comparatively tiny next to some of the longstanding triggers on here; but I am currently sitting on 49 logs since I joined! The information and tips from members on this site have been incredibly helpful, and Teasel's Android app has been invaluable in my trig visits.
For #50, which I consider to be the first of many future milestones, I want to give a little something back to the community for their vast efforts. S7414 in the Highlands seems to be considered as a horrible trig to visit - mainly due to the impenetrable blackthorn surrounding the summit of the dun (only one log on the site since '06). I attempted it once, back in August, and only managed to get within about 10m. So, I'm planning to clear a proper path up to the trig, and give it a right good whitewashing to hopefully make it more worthwhile to visit. I was up there last night with a blunt pair of secateurs, and managed to make a small but encouraging dent (5m to the trig, +/- 2m) in the thorns on the south-side of the summit before it got too dark. Another visit sometime this week is in order - with a handsaw, thicker gloves, and a lamp.
Does anyone have any better suggestions for clearing the blackthorn? Is weedkiller an approved trigger's tool? Obviously it's just going to grow back, so I'd like to make a lasting impression in it. Maybe I'll end up with a good shillelagh at the end
Ta,
Steven