Danny MacAskill goes trig bagging

General discussion about trigpoints, the TrigpointingUK website etc
Post Reply
ted
Posts: 236
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:39 am

Danny MacAskill goes trig bagging

Post by ted »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_7k3fnxPq0

bonkers. :shock:

Trig plays a minor part at 3:15 - anyone know where?
clochandighter
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:02 pm

Re: Danny MacAskill goes trig bagging

Post by clochandighter »

Hi Ted,

I am 99% sure the trig is:

S3631 - Sauchie Crag, Strilingshire. Lewis Hill on some maps. By north Third Reservoir.

http://trigpointing.uk/trig/5821


Regards,

Graeme
MAC.HAWK
Posts: 129
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:11 pm

Re: Danny MacAskill goes trig bagging

Post by MAC.HAWK »

Or if you can endure more SNP propaganda (Alex Salmond pontificating in his usual simplistic & patronizing way) visit this older posting that has much better trig shots https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyOZzEWF4RU.

Suggestions for the pillar location would be welcome!
jrcking
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu May 26, 2016 2:18 pm

Re: Danny MacAskill goes trig bagging

Post by jrcking »

He didn't even stop to note down the FB number!
clochandighter
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:02 pm

Re: Danny MacAskill goes trig bagging

Post by clochandighter »

I think this one is:

S6958 - Ben More (5th highest of all trig pillars, and highest secondary station pillar).

http://trigpointing.uk/trig/1287

That being is Ben More, by Crianlarich, not the one on Mull. Again, I'm happy to be corrected if anyone else recognises this as somewhere else.


Regards,

Graeme
ted
Posts: 236
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:39 am

Re: Danny MacAskill goes trig bagging

Post by ted »

Thanks for the IDs Graeme.

Whilst on the subject of identifying Scottish trigs, does anyone know
which one appears on the cover of the late Martyn Bennett's CD 'Grit' '?
Its puzzled me for a while. Theres only the top of the trig to go on.

The web site http://www.martynbennett.com/Album_Grit.html
says its on the Isle of Mull but I can't match that description using
the search on Trigpointing:UK; maybe the OS gave it a different name.

Thanks
Ted
jrcking
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu May 26, 2016 2:18 pm

Re: Danny MacAskill goes trig bagging

Post by jrcking »

Conveniently a lot of the pillars on Mull are round, so they're ruled out. The round bit in the middle is missing, which helps. I also think the background looks like Ardnamurchan, so started with that side of Mull.

Based on the above, I initially thought it was: TP4717 - Meall An Inbhire - http://trigpointing.uk/trig/4717

Then I looked at the paint splodges, and they didn't seem to match.

Then I just googled the name of the photographer and found this: http://www.martynbennett.com/A009.html

Mystery solved, though I still can't reconcile the paint splodges.
ted
Posts: 236
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:39 am

Re: Danny MacAskill goes trig bagging

Post by ted »

Mystery solved, though I still can't reconcile the paint splodges.
http://trigpointing.uk/trig/4717 Meall An Inbhire
- didn't seem that close a match initially but Ed Fielden's photo
http://trigpointinguk-photos.s3.amazona ... 120227.jpg
matches well with the BJ Stewart article.


Thanks :D

Ted
alansmeaton
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:05 pm

Re: Danny MacAskill goes trig bagging

Post by alansmeaton »

The first trig is 100% definitely Lewis Hill. Decent views apart from the huge wind factories to the west and the massed ranks of conifers.
fasgadh
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:43 pm

Re: Danny MacAskill goes trig bagging

Post by fasgadh »

You know they don't actually make the wind. I wanted then removed after Bawbag but was told that they just like to blow up in strong winds rather than create it. Poor Caerletheran.
Post Reply